Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bridgestreet.cc Saddle Bag – Mini Review
  • woody2000

I bought one of bridgestreet’s medium saddlebags, just thought I’d share my thoughts (sorry!)

I wanted to do away with my rack and panniers for day to day riding (commuting). I tried a seat post mounted rack and bag instead, but they were a bit fiddly to use and wobbled about a bit.

I found the bridgestreet bags by accident really, but they looked like what I wanted – a bag that would carry my commuting bits (clothes, tools & food), that was light and easy to attach/remove.

Good bits[/u]: It’s light, easy to fit & stable. Decent capacity – med bag (8 litres) takes jeans, t-shirt, undies, waterproof, arm warmers, food, wallet, keys & pump/tube/levers/multi-tool. Waterproof. Seems less noticeable during pedalling than a rack/panniers, the weight balance is better I guess.

Bad bits[/u]: Expensive(!), can be a little noisy when full (this is less noticeable if you cinch the straps up, but if you can’t do that for whatever reason then it moves and makes a noise).

Spot on for commuting (as long as you’re in a “casual” office, wouldn’t want to carry a shirt/trousers in there). It would also be ideal for long rides, audax etc.

Fitted to my Charge Plug (small):

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for the review, I’m thinking about getting one of these for the winter commute.

Is that the short bracket? And do you catch the back of your legs at all when riding?

Why would you not want to carry a shirt, bag not wide enough?

woody2000

It’s the long bracket Gary – short one sits much lower down and can catch your legs apparently. If it’s full (as it is in the pic above) I can just about feel it on my backside over rough stuff.

I wouldn’t want to carry a shirt as it would get creased up quite badly I reckon, it’s a roll top bag with straps. Plenty big enough though I imagine, and if you’re a wizz at packing perhaps the creasing would be minimal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Glad I asked as I would have bought one with the short bracket. Apart from broken tarmac I don’t encounter a lot of rough stuff on my commute 🙂

Only thing I don’t like the look of is the metal bracket round the seatpost, looks jubilee clipesque.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Couple of things to add – I got one from the Kickstarter batch and got the long bracket. Since then, I got the short bracket so as to keep things more tucked in. I do slightly catch the back of my legs on it while pedalling, but only slightly so I tend to put up with it. The short bracket doesn’t have the metal band attachment either. I leave the short bracket on my winter road bike so when I fancy a long ride in to work I can easily just go for that bike.

I also use a Klickfix handlebar mount, and use the bag on that. It is fairly bulky as a handlebar bag, but works fine. I use that when I have the childseat on the back of my commuter, so can’t use my panniers.

I do put my shirt in it – I take trousers, shirt, underwear and lunch in it regularly, which fills it up but is fine in practice.

Do you always need the bracket? Would it attach directly to a saddle with saddlebag loops?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll go for the long bracket as I can’t stand a bag rubbing my legs when I ride – even very slightly starts to seriously any me.

I don’t carry much so could get a way with a small bag.

TPTcruiser

Always interested in commuting solutions thanks for this.
    Without the rack, where’d your lights go?

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s a tab on the bag for a light, I would also put one on the seatpost if using the high mount.

woody2000

The metal clip is a bit nasty looking I agree (hence I put some inner tube on there). It’s not like it’s hanging by that clip though, it’s well supported by the rest of the bracket. I’d not want to use it on a carbon post though I don’t think?

Would it attach directly to a saddle with saddlebag loops?

I think what Sir wants is a Carradice 🙂
    It has a frame inside which would make it unsuitable for bag loops I think.

I’ll stick a light on the loop on the bag, I have one on the back of my helmet and if I move the bracket up a bit I should be able to get one on the seatpost too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bridgestreet.cc Saddle Bag – Mini Review’ is closed to new replies.