Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Bridal Way "Improved".
  • salsaboy

The local landowner has taken it upon himself to resurface part of a bridal way that is also a section of the Lincolnshire Cycle Trail.
    I won’t be walking my dogs or riding down here again. Lots of sharp edges from tiles, glass and metal.Not good.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Bridle

Bridal

leffeboy

is disappoint

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thetallman
    Free Member

The local landowner has taken it upon himself to resurface save money at the local tip

By the looks of things 😕

matt_outandabout

Yes – looks like a house demolition disposal. 😥

km79
    Free Member

He should be done for that, what a moron. 🙁

scaredypants

yeah, you can definitely get in t’rubble for that

Sandwich

Pics to EA with location and they’ll sort it out. Usually by levying a big financial wrist slap.

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely report to EA and ROW officer, that is taking the piss.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Report that my good man!

redthunder
    Free Member

I always thought if the route (PROW) is unpassable then it’s an issue.

maccruiskeen

I’ve seen more unusual choices of material for road and path building…

like the Rainford Road of Teeth 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

As mentioned above, in tandem with telling the the ROW team a tip off to the environment agency sometimes works wonders with issues like this… their powers seem to be somewhat more robustly applied 😀

tomd
    Free Member

The EA have a 24 line to report stuff like this. Also email your local Row team. Could easily injure a horse I’d have thought.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s amazing where you can tie the knot these days

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS

wrightyson
    Free Member

I can hazard a guess at what’s happened here. Folk have been whinging that the path is a bit muddy to the footpath officer. Landowner has received several letters/visits, Landowner has tried to remedy issue and stop whiners whining, Landowner had decided to use 6f to save money, whingers now whinging more than ever, now will cost land owner twice…

dannyh
    Free Member

Yep, report the bugger for that. It is basically fly tipping and he needs to feel some pain in the pocket to learn his lesson.

He might think twice after having to pay for that lot to be carted off, or having to do it himself. Cretin.

scaredypants

I can hazard a guess at what’s happened here. Folk have been whinging that the path is a bit muddy to the footpath officer. Landowner has received several letters/visits, Landowner has tried to remedy issue and stop whiners whining, Landowner had decided to use 6f to save money, whingers now whinging more than ever, now will cost land owner twice…

I’ll have a go too, then:
    Landowner or one of his/her mates is a property developer taking advantage of that “brownfieldy” loophole that lets you buy & demolish a small house and build on the same site, avoiding tax on the way. Logical next step is to dump the old shite somewhere unofficial

user-removed
    Free Member

The local farmer did this to one of the nicest parts of The Weardale Way too a few years ago 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

Mrs Gti and I once witnessed a farmer spreading ballast up a BW that went through his farm. The man was apoplectic with rage and almost foaming at the mouth, working back and forth with his JCB while screaming abuse at his poor wife and teenage son who were doing their best to help with shovels. We agreed that he was a man on the verge of a breakdown.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Well as 6f is selling at quite a premium at the moment I doubt it, when you can get clean masonary removed from site virtually for free as there’s such a shortage I doubt anyone would just tip it. Plus that’s been through a crusher and not just come from a demo job.

CountZero

Round these parts any resurfacing of byways that’s carried out is done using the old Tarmac stripped from roads prior to a complete resurfacing job, which does make for a very good surface as it binds together very well.
    It also makes for a source of cast-iron cats-eyes mountings for nice heavy door-stops, because they just get ground up along with the old Tarmac.

slowoldman

It is basically fly tipping

As practiced by DCC.

gallowayboy

is done using the old Tarmac stripped from roads prior to a complete resurfacing job, which does make for a very good surface as it binds together very well.

Round here they do indeed do this – using diesel poured on it to bind it. Much of the diesel ends up in watercourses.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I agree with wrightyson. That is a 6f5 material, demolition waste that has been through a crusher to produce a specific grading. It is the cheapest material that meets the SHW for 6f5 and despite best endeavours will always contain a small percentage of plastic such as the waste pipe and electrical fittings seen in photo 1.

Whilst that isn’t (by a long way) a tidy job the ceramics and glass are generally acceptable. However, 6f5 wouldn’t usually be used as a running surface, other than as a construction site haul road, and should be topped with a finer material, typically Type 1.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

gallowayboy – Member
    is done using the old Tarmac stripped from roads prior to a complete resurfacing job, which does make for a very good surface as it binds together very well.

Round here they do indeed do this – using diesel poured on it to bind it. Much of the diesel ends up in watercourses.

Planings are perfectly acceptable as a Type 4 subbase. The use of diesel sounds a little suspect and very bad practice as the diesel is a solvent and would degrade the bitumen content resulting in the exact opposite of what you suggest they are attempting to achieve. Road planings correctly compacted are self binding without the need for anything being added.

Sometimes the operatives will coat their shovels and rakes in diesel to prevent the material sticking.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Have a close look at it next time; find one fragment of (potentially) asbestos containing material (asbestos cement board etc) and the EA will be down on him like a ton of in-crushed cuboidal building materials.

twisty

Whilst that isn’t (by a long way) a tidy job the ceramics and glass are generally acceptable.

I thought that ceramics & glass was technically & literally unacceptable waste, making the mix unacceptable for a topping or base material. If it was just crushed brick and concrete then that might be ok.

Not an approved method of recycling bitumin. Please report, sounds like road planings that have probably most likely been paid to be disposed of as unacceptable waste from a job are then being dumped on the cheap.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As usual some right bollocks being spouted. I’ve just been through this whole procedure on a site where we’ve moved a bridleway, anybody producing licenced 6f will clearly not be banging asbestos through the crusher.

diz

maccruiskeen whereabouts in Rainford is the Rainford road of teeth?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Aye, licensed 6F maybe, provided it’s been done by a reputable demo contractor.

However in the last decade of digging and sampling all manner of demo waste and screened crush I can tell you a lot of the time everything possible on site will get banged in the crusher.

twisty

As usual some right bollocks being spouted. I’ve just been through this whole procedure on a site where we’ve moved a bridleway, anybody producing licenced 6f will clearly not be banging asbestos through the crusher.

There is all sorts of crap in that path that is not a permitted constituent of class 6F capping material. glass, plastic, rubber, metals, splintered wood.

So stop confusing matters by trying to say that it is Class 6F material, it is not even close!

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I’m at work now so can check properly.

There is all sorts of crap in that path that is not a permitted constituent of class 6F capping material. glass, plastic, rubber, metals, splintered wood.

Recycled aggregates used as 6F5 can contain up to 1% of “other” materials, up to 1% of bituminous materials and up to 25% crushed glass.

“Other” materials are classified as wood, plastics and metal.

Obviously we have no way of knowing what the percentages are in the material used in that path but there is a fair few tonnes there so it is entirely possible that the plastic is within the limits.

twisty

Where is that from? If the ‘other’ means non floating wood/plastics/metal then that would be the maximum allowed to meet the minimum categories of the coarse recycled aggregates in EN 13242 but I thought the permitted constituents for 6F5 were still as listed in the MCEW. Anyway it’d certainly be the worst 6F5 I have seen both for sieving and constituents.

Even if it does pass as 6F5 then that doesn’t mean it is a suitable material to be left as an exposed surface on a bridleway.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Series 600 Specification for Highway Works cl601 paragraph 13 for permitted constituents of recycled aggregates.

The “other” materials referred to as Class X in that paragraph are defined in series 800 Table 8/3.

Don’t get me wrong. That is an appalling job and it shouldn’t, in my opinion, be left like that without an appropriate topping. Unfortunately, the material used quite probably meets the requirements.

Actually, reading that clause again 6f5 can contain up to 50% bituminous materials unless it is “recycled aggregates except recycled asphalt” in which case it is the 1% as stated earlier but with only 5% glass.

plumber
    Free Member

I seen that sort of fill used in a lot places I’ve ridden around the country, never had a problem with it

wrightyson
    Free Member

I work at the real end of the construction industry. Current 6f is shite! Driven by a massive shortfall in cheap aggregate availability any old shit as you rightly say is put in. I’ve put 40000 ton of aggregate down on my current job, after about 800 ton of utter rubbish from various licensed 6f suppliers I made the call, much to the paymasters dissapointment to only use quarried 6f. All I was stating from the start was that that had been through a crusher, it was no doubt licensed and the landowner has tried to save himself a few quids. The bridleway I moved had the same issues and has now been topped with a shiny quarried type1.

bedmaker

Seems like a reasonable justification for a fatbike to me. 🙂

4.8 tyres, tubeless, 5-6psi and float serenely over the stabby rubble.

Oh, and a there’s been a very disappointing lack of punning since this thread was unveiled.
    The bridalway which has been resurfaced with something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Use of waste exemption U1 doesn’t even require the material to be any of the highways specifications, so a crush and run of mixed bricks, tiles and ceramics is acceptable, for farm track construction/maintenance. If they haven’t got a U1 exemption for this material then unless it’s a specified, graded and tested material then it IS flytipping.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Bridal Way "Improved".’ is closed to new replies.