• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Brian Lopes Mastering Mountain Bike Skills Book good for an 'experienced' rider?
  • Geronimo
    Free Member

Would "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills" good for someone who's been riding since the early 90s and reasonably good(but not a master…), fairly quick and confident at riding trails? -having learned the hard way i a lot of cases….

Or, does it just cover the basics:
    Stay relaxed, keep your head up, look down the trail, push the bike into corners, trail brake etc.

Basically, Having seen those amazing videos of Lopes, will it make me ride like he does? 😉

Sirlickalot
    Free Member

You know what, I bought it the other day after seeing those vids. It's cornering let's me down the most. Some good tips, but not really had a chance to read it much yet.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

it covers everything from the very basics through to stuff I will never even attempt. I'm still unconvinced that a book can teach skills effectively, but it's a decent enough attempt

GW
    Free Member

wasn't it Lee that wrote it? with BL endorsement?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Lee?

Had a quick flick through that book and as skill manuals go, it's really good. I liked the exercise to enourage weighting and unweighting the bike by doing the same movements stood on some scales and seeing the massive difference it can make.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Lee McCormack,

I think so

solamanda
    Free Member

Yes it's good. I race DH and 4X (with good results) and still gained alot from the book. Even if you 'know it', it helps reinforce the stuff you might not be concentrating on enough. I especially like the section on corner line choice.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Its been sat next to my loo for the past 3 months and I have now read it cover to cover about 3 times – I have been riding for 15 years and found it has reaffirmed what I am doing right and given me some great direction on tackling other stuff correctly. Great book.

Geronimo
    Free Member

Nice one. I'll get it.

vinnyeh

Lee McCormack seems to have written everything in it, apart from a few sidebars from Lopes. If you don't mind the writing style (see the link to his site) it's pretty good I think at putting stuff into words, if you dip into it, pick something to practice, it can be helpful.
    it's also good at explaining what you're actually doing when you're already doing it right, if that makes sense.

Speeder

If it does nothing more than make you think about how you ride rather than just get down the hill it's worth it. There's some good stuff in the but don't buy it if you get annoyed at Yank hyperbole, there's a lot of "challenging" language.

scaredypants

I have a copy, and I'm rrrrRRRRAD

Q well written actually (suspect GW may be correct, though it credits bothI think) and fairly "funny" (there's a troubleshooting tip that runs something like: Q I feel tired and weak. A You are tired and weak, try training !)

MrNutt
    Free Member

Yank hyperbole, there's a lot of "challenging" language.

you NEED to watch FLUIDride like a pro it's the vertical/horizontal/semi horizontal blowing off energy at the end of your rope that you need to be careful of!

Geronimo
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member
    I'm still unconvinced that a book can teach skills effectively, but it's a decent enough attempt

Some books can go a long way to helping though.
    In the world of motorbikes, "Twist of The Wrist 2" is superb. The Lopes book would take its place next to the toilet.

chiefgrooveguru

I'm a relative beginner but I'd be amazed to come across anyone who isn't a pro that can nail everything in the book! And the writing style I'd much better than I was expecting.

Northwind

I found it very good. Generally written in simple but clear language, nice examples, goes into real depth on some parts too. I got it as a christmas gift and actually assumed it'd be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised.

Another tip I like: "How do I avoid getting hurt when I crash?" "Go to gymboree a lot when you're 8 years old. What, you're in your 20s? Oh well, too late"

chiefgrooveguru

By the way, the new edition came out this April, though not having seen the original edition I don't know how much has changed. Certainly bang up to date though!

nuke

Worth a punt and only £13.49 for the 2nd edition (2010) on Play…

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/14871251/Mastering-Mountain-Bike-Skills/Product.html?add=14871251

FuzzyWuzzy

baaarrrrp!

Yeah some cringe-worthy language at times but it gets quite detailed and I've certainly picked up a few things (translating it into riding is another thing though where a skills course would be an advantage).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup – worth the cash.

hora
    Free Member

Even if you've been riding years doesn't mean you wont learn something that might save you from an avoidable spill.

Might be a good bedtime read for me. Where to buy?

DezB
    Free Member

Amazon

It is good. Cornering stuff really useful. "Now you're carving"! I love a good carve.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Brian Lopes Mastering Mountain Bike Skills Book good for an 'experienced' rider?’ is closed to new replies.