• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Brexiters want to flog you in the street!
  • igm

Ok slightly trollish title, but an interesting article from the Beeb.

If you can’t be bothered reading it the summary is that social conservatism and support for things like public flogging and the death penalty was s good indicator of support for leaving the EU. (Or I suppose joining ISIS, but perhaps leave that one.). Though whether this was simply because such people read the Mail who campaigned to quit isn’t discussed that I could see.

Remainers were characterised as liking openness, modernity and other social-liberal values.

BBC article

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Flogging’s too good for me…

slowoldman

Yeah, I read it. I need hanging.

igm

I know, you’d pay for it.

mrhoppy

I’ve always been amused that those vocally opposed to Muslims and Sharia law appear to be quite keen on flogging, chopping of hands of theives and hanging.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Yep. Bring it back please Mrs May.

Murray

Can I be spanked rather than flogged?

yunki
    Free Member

CountZero

Considering quite a few Labour MP’s, and at least one Labour peer voted Brexit, all I can think is this is just media trolling, click-bait.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Basically, then, Cameron split the country along a Nasty/Nice fault line.

Clever.

igm

CZ – I think the article’s point was that it wasn’t rich against poor, or left against right, it was traditional and authoritarian versus modem and socially liberal. Now those positions loosely correlate with age, or political position, but not very well.

And DK, I don’t think it’s as simple as nasty and nice either. Plenty of modern liberal types that I don’t think are particularly nice.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I remember reading polling a couple of years ago that suggest a majority of people in the UK wanted to bring back the death penalty. That’s why we don’t have referendums on things where one result would be a massive backwards step for society, no matter what the public may think.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Forward thinking verses backward (thinking)

Shackleton

Can’t say that this has made me think more highly of leavers. Harking back to an imaginary golden age full of brutality.

Things change, different is not always wrong……

mrmo
    Free Member

What is of interest to the public is not always in the publics interest.

Referendums are a stupid idea unless the population are well informed and fully conversant with the argument.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Brexiters want to flog you in the street!’ is closed to new replies.