Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brewers – anyone entering Brewdog's competition?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/homebrewdog

Pretty good prizes – make your beer at the brewery, it gets put on tap at their UK bars and sold in Tesco and there’s a job offer as a brewer.

I’ve just brewed my entry.

Gone for a 10.5% dark Belgian ale – chocolate and coffee flavours, with the addition of roasted hazelnuts which I’ve pulled out and am going to make a tincture with some vodka to put in after fermentation – aiming for Nutella beer. Got the fermentation fridge cranked up to 28c (only 4 more than room temp just now – not sure how that’s affecting the 60 shilling I’ve got going in the cupboard)

Already tasting good and it’s still brewday.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Don’t think my lagers and session pale ales is what they are looking for!

I just about to head my shed, to dry hop the hell out of a double batch of Columbus/Citra pale ale, cold crash and get it in the kegs on the weekend and I’ll be drinking it next week. Very fresh or too green depending what your view is!

guitarhero – That’s a very nice looking drop you have there.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, I was in two minds about what sort of thing they’d be looking for.

I’ve got a really nice Scotch ale recipe, kind of a 65 shilling? It’s a 60 shilling with a little more alcohol in it. Very simple recipe but really nice. A tiny bit more hops than standard. Made it for a friend’s wedding and it was universally praised

I thought it would be nice to enter – it’s Scottish, it’s a revival of a forgotten style and I’m fed up of super bitter IPAs – they’re 10 a penny now. Brewdog have done a lot of styles but never really done that…. But, is something so simple the kind of thing that wins a competition from a brewery like that?

Both of them are fermenting so we’ll see how they come out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Hedge your bets and enter the Thornbridge comp too.
    http://gbhomebrew.co.uk/

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Nice

Northwind

One of our brewing lecturers is entering some acorn madness he’s concocted. Apparently acorns make terrible beer, so the first thing you have to do is basically de-acornise them. It all seems a lot like singlespeeding. But apparently it’s not cheating because a) he’s doing it at home not with our brewery and b) there won’t be any favouritism because Martin didn’t like him anyway. Seems legit.

Xylene
    Free Member

Whatever you make can you ask them to sEllis it in pints

Ì amy conused as to why they limit me to half’s of theirstrongest beer
    I know this ib have been in their Newcastle bar for 4 hours

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aye, I guess it’s like buying a bottle of wine.

Though 10.5% x 568ml = pished

Xylene
    Free Member

Though 10.5% x 568ml = pished

But I should be able to make that choice myself – Can I have a pint of that 10.6% stuff, no you we only sell in halfs, well can I have two halfs in a pint, no we only sell it in half glasses.

I enjoyed the beer, service was spot on, but the weird rules stopped me drinking pints of wine strength beer at 2pm on a Friday afternoon.

singletrackmind

nut allergen warning on the packaging / labelling just in case someone is allergic

good work and nice and inovative idea , not so sure about a 28’c fermenting temp though

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Using a Belgian Trappist yeast – that’s what it likes.
    Fermentation has kicked off – blew the top off the fermenter and spilled all over the freezer oops

Need to get a bigger freezer and bigger fermenters….

I’d rather they sold you the beer in whatever size you want. I’m the customer after all!

I think they do it to hide the heinous prices they charge. You think £4 isn’t …too… bad for a nice beer, but then you realise its only 2/3rd of a pint so is actually £6 a pint.
    I got charged £6 for a 330 ml can of IPA recently – ridiculous. Wasn’t anything fancy either.

Even though I love all the nice beers, they’re too **** expensive. I either make my own (about 50p a pint) or go to a local bar where they have a brewery and have a discount card on their own beers so works out about £3.50 a pint.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Brewers – anyone entering Brewdog's competition?’ is closed to new replies.