Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Breweries to visit? – Kent to Dorset. Surrey Hills, South Downs, New Forest.
  • nedrapier

Planning a summer bivi ride over a week or so, hung round beery goodness. There’s a massive number of breweries, which would be your pick to drop in on?

Good beer, nice locations, food/farm shop, that sort of thing.

jeff

Home

EDIT – for location and proximity to North Downs / trails

pictonroad

Harveys in Lewes is South Downs, splendid brewery right on the River, they book up early so try and arrange a date to be there.

Lewes itself is also very nice, fiercely independent town. (I believe they have their own currency still) The Brewery shop is good too and there’s a few nice food places on the same street, always face away from Argos to appreciate the view….

The Lanes pub in Brighton brews its own beer on site and is a fantastic pub with great food.

Yak

Triple fff at Four Marks. Press Rat & Warthog is a tremendous mild.
    http://www.triplefff.com/

nedrapier

The list is only 3 long so far, jeff, but that’s on it! 😀 Mum lives just down the road.

kilo

Tillingboure, top of crocknorth, not sure what facilities they have, nice riding round there

theotherjonv

Tillingbourne brewery at the top of Staples Lane / pretty much on the North Downs way.

http://www.tillybeer.co.uk

Shere Drop (Surrey hills brewery) at denbies

Home

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Siren (ride from Swinely)
    Wild Weather
    West Berkshire

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wiltshire way…

Stonehenge
    Hop Back
    Downton

Hampshire
    Red Cat in Winchester

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We did Palmers Brewery in Bridport last year. Lovely old school brewery, very interesting. And the samples at the end were splendid (just get your better half to drive)

Yak

Oooh, been years since I’ve been to flowerpots. Can you still camp/bivi in the beer garden for free? That would be ideal for the OP.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have done the Hogs Back tour, a fun hour or two and good beers. Whether it suits the route (could be a good link) is up to you.

I havent visited the Surrey Hills Brewery (Shere Drop, Ranmore Ale nice beers) I fear they are a bit “corporate” now as they are part of the Denbies estate near Box Hill.

If you are looking for Bivi spots nearish trails you might consider somewhere around Shere/Little London having ridden the Surrey Hills Trails – the William IV or William Bray pubs are decent and close to typical routes.

nedrapier

Brilliant. cheers all. Flowerpots – great shout. think that’s got to be the pick from the Winchester area.

Vibrant Forest looks good too. Put off initially by the industrial state address, but it’s pretty rural, as industrial estates go!

Wasn’t thinking of going as far west as Bridport, but you never know. Also thought of going to Bath rather than Dorset, so cheers for those, CFH.

cinnamon_girl

It would seem that your face has to fit to be welcome in Flowerpots and my group of mtb’ers were not made welcome. I had personally checked availability of food and timings beforehand yet when we arrived they had stopped serving.

Additionally they looked down their noses at my very tall son and his then impressive (clean) ponytail.

Well heeled of Winchester is who they want and not my sort. 😐

If it were me I’d head for the Itchen Valley Brewery, sup some Pure Gold and then hit the ford by the watercress beds for a laugh.

cinnamon_girl

Wadworth in Devizes, mmmm 6X

Freester
    kbomb
    Free Member

I got absolutely trolleyed on the Hogs Back tour, well recommended. +1 for the Wadworth tour as well.

The Harveys brewery tour in Lewes is almost impossible to get on, which is a shame, and none of the other ones around Brighton are much cop.

You could do the Real Ale Train as well. Lots of good bivvying near the start/end point.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Go here, Flowerpots in Cheriton.

Don’t come tonight or tomorrow, I’ll be there. Your face has to fit, yes but by God the beer is exceptional.

Then go here for Wallops Wood real ale, Dundridge (nr Bishops Waltham.

Then here, The Thomas Lord, West Meon for Upham Ales..

nedrapier

Not sure about the Thomas Lord, bit of a settlement crack at about 3″ off the ground. Looks dangerous.

nedrapier

Joking aside (serious business, beer!), quite a few breweries will have odd opening hours that might not tie in with when we’re coming past.

Pubs however…

So cheers bikebouy for getting the ball rolling – further suggestions for absolutely world class pubs would be very welcome!

wheelie

Red Cat Brewery Winchester

Brocken Bridge brewery, coming shortly (Meon Valley)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Breweries to visit? – Kent to Dorset. Surrey Hills, South Downs, New Forest.’ is closed to new replies.