Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Brecon Beacons or the Peak District?
  • winrya
    Free Member

I’m off biking on Friday with a few mates and we’ve narrowed down a bit of natural mountain biking to either the peaks or Brecon Beacons.

Could you guys and girls recommend some routes? Anyone got any experience of both places and which did you enjoy the most. We’re based in Shropshire so a similar distance for both destinations.

We’re planning on making a day of it so not afraid of a full days riding!

Cheers all,

Ryan

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of the Gap in the Brecons. Some great pubs just off the route, too….!

MartynS

I live very near the Peak, I’ve ridden the Gap Road several times.
    Peak has loads to go at, and its riding really well at the moment, you could do a massive day around Edale/Ladybower
    Gap Road is nice, I think the top of the Gap has been improved..I.E totally smoothed off.
    For a big day out I think I’d do the peak.. the Gap will take about 4 hours, and I don’t think its that easy to extend it, you can keep going round the Peak untill your legs drop off…!

winrya
    Free Member

So if doing Brecon the gap is the one to do then. How easy is it to follow, take it a map is a must?

Martyn, what routes should I be searching for with the peaks? I have a MBR map for Hayfield. I’ve noticed Jacobs ladder looks quite a challenge. I take it all the good routes are in the dark rocks area?

Cheers for the replies all

br
    Free Member

Buy a map and take the BB, there are some good routes with imagination:

From the campsite at Cwmdu.

Cwmdu – Cockit Hill – Pengenfford – The Gap – Crug Mawy (via Breacons Way) – Llanbedr (Pub) – valley to Mynydd Llysiau – down to near Waun Fach – Cwmdu

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’d do the dark Peak. was up there last week & it was sensational. 6hrs riding albeit not at the fastest pace & loads of options to lengthen the ride.

winrya
    Free Member

what route did you follow?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Remember twpsins – Brecon Beacons or the Beacons…but never ever should it be called “the Brecons”.

sambob
    Free Member

Peaks. Very easy to do a massive loop with loads of climbing if the mood takes you, or do a shorter one, still with lots of climbing.

MartynS

Jacobs ladder is a classic route.. it is tough but well worth it
    Round Hope valley is also fantastic. Honestly, get a map, the bridleways are easy to follow. Have a look round on t’web there are loads of route guides.
    The V graphics Dark Peak book is well worth a look as a guide as well.
    Get back to us if you want advice about specific bridleways

jamesb
    Free Member

Go with the weather forecast, whichever is best area ! or stay on Long Mynd?? 🙂

The Gap road though benefits at this time of year from a total restriction on motorised vehicles; last time I was there top of Gap was snarled up by motorcyclists falling off as they tried the rock steps, rather spoilt the downhill experience for me 🙁

Bunnyhop

For an all day ride try ‘Cut gate’. This is an out and back ride, best place to start is Langsett and follow the long trail to Derwent reservoir. The conditions at the moment are superb, running fast and dry.

Google Cut gate and it should come up with a route for you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Brecon Beacons or the Peak District?’ is closed to new replies.