Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brecon?
  • kerv
    Free Member

Off to Talgarth for a weekend of mtb next weekend but the trails on the Brecon website (Grwyne Fawr etc) look like they involve a bit too much tarmac. Any advice?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Black Mountains killer loop?

The gap?

Blorenge!

mount Lord Herefords knob?

roystonsmith
    Free Member

By “next weekend” do you mean this coming weekend 23rd and 24th?

If so, I’m staying near Brecon and looking to do a route probably on Sunday, probably an extended Gap.

Let me know if you’re interested.

kerv
    Free Member

Sorry Royston will miss you by a week 🙁
    Mount Lord Herefords knob!!!!! it’s not that sort of weekend dr Nick! Where can I get details of these trails though, incase Lord Herefords knob looks appealing.

roystonsmith
    Free Member

It’s just south west of the most easterly point of this route

jamesb
    Free Member

If you drive up to Pengenffordd, road from Talgarth to Abergavenny, you can do away with a lot of tarmac bits; you can ride across base Black Mtn (with section tarmac), pickup track up Y Das (big push up stoney rubbley steep track)> down to Grwynne Fawr, then work way up thro forest to get track out over Crug Mawr> descend to Llanbedr> section tarmac lane to north up to bridleway over Pan Trumau and back to car at Pengenffordd; limited parking at SO 176 303 or ask permission at Castle Inn on main road at Pengenfforrdd 🙂

IanB
    Free Member

You can cut a fair amount of road off the black route listed here by going up through Mynydd Ddu forest and exiting at the southern corner onto a nice bridleway SO260231. Turn right on the road and head up the valley until the track turns into a bridleway again. At SO204286 don’t follow the bridleway south as per the route, instead descend the bridleway called Rhiw Trumau – top drawer descent IMO.

Ian

jamesb
    Free Member

IanB and I are describing same alternative I believe…..

kerv
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, I shall take it on board and still get horribly lost. Probably.

jamesb
    Free Member

—just in the forestry section I would think! Take a good 1:25k map and if possible GPS to log out the route before

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brecon?’ is closed to new replies.