Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brechfa Questions
  • Fabdad
    Free Member

Planning on riding Brechfa soon and was wondering how long to ride Raven and Gorlech trails? Also which carpark to use cos it looks like there's two? Cheers

nickegg
    Free Member

Gorlech is closed due to logging FWIW.

Abergorlech car park for Gorlech trail and the 'other' one for Raven (don't know what it's called!).

nickegg
    Free Member

Or….it is possible to do both from one car park or the other…..if you fancy a VERY long ride!

chakaping
    Free Member

Took me about 3.5 hours to ride the Raven, stopping to fix somebody's chain, to eat my lunch and to have about five repeats on the tabletops.

Don't know if that helps. Nice ride, second half much better than first IMO.

nickegg
    Free Member

Planning on doing the Raven on sunday, did it all (i think) on the Brechfa Enduro.

Going to be missing out the section thats unsurfaced, has a horrible steep climb at the start and it really muddy and rooty.

That was the one bit i thought was really sh1t.

psychle
    Free Member

rode Gorlech last week, took around 3 hours with my beginner wife. I think I did it in around 2hrs the first time I went round? That was with a few repeats of the jumps and berms on the top 🙂 It is technically closed at the moment due to logging, but they didn't seem annoyed to see us on the trail?

nickegg
    Free Member

I got grief on here from maxheadset for suggesting that although technically closed you could still ride it 🙄

Glad i'm not the only one to take the closure lightly!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I rode Gorlech about a fortnight a go and there were no actual closures and apart from a few 100m of fire road that's a bit churned up and a 200m section of flat singletrack, it was all open and fine!

I can't see why it's actually closed but I'm sure I'll get flamed too by the sounds of it.

Allow 2 hours for each if you're of reasonable fitness and ability. It's hard work riding both back to back though, although it's only 40 something km, compared to other trail centres it's a lot of climbing. I think it's 725m for black and something like 1200m for the red.

Enjoy, it's a fun place to ride!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I can't believe Brechfa isn't busier, I've been on 2 weekends now, perfectly sunny dry days and not passed another rider both times.

csb

Rode the red last Thurs. As Gary said, only encounter with logging was on a fireroad so use your noddle and wait till the man in the digger say's it's OK to pass. Those machines are unreal!

nickegg
    Free Member

I'm not surprised its quiet Gary….it's a long way from anywhere thats not in South Wales…except Bristol 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah but 'that' quiet! lol

Fabdad
    Free Member

Ta for the replies.Myself and a couple of mates are hoping to have a weekender down that way and are trying to plan a couple of days rides to include Brechfa,Cwm Rhaeadr and the Doiehie Valley ride that was in MBR a few months back, would also be looking for some bike friendly accomodation.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

We did the red & black combined from the Gorlech car park at a brisk pace with only stops for a couple of punctures in well under 4 hours, I've done it solo a bit more gentle pace in about 4.15 & with 6 of us last month with a 20 minute lunch stop in just under 5 hours.
    As above the closed for logging only refers to a couple of hundred yards of fireroad thats churned up muddy by the lorries & they have to be on the cautious side with the heavy logging machines.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa Questions’ is closed to new replies.