Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Brechfa, Gorlech trail
  • Forge_Master
    Free Member

Is it suitable for a 14 year old lad with some mtb experience?

I'm heading up there at the end of the month and was wondering whether to take my son.

Thanks.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

is that the red?

if so then yes but he'll need to be fit

brechfa has some long peddaly singletrack sections that aren't much fun if you can't attack them i found this out by being knackered from the previous day)

however, the rest of the trail is so awesome that it won't really matter and it's fairly short too

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Sounds like i should take him then.

Cheers.

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmm… Gorlech… it's fireroad climbs, and a slightly technical descent that might be a bit scary if he's not used to technincal descending.

The Blue and the Green trails are excellent fun – I'd prersonally recommend them over the Gorlech… but that's me.

timmys

Yeah, the Green/Blue is fun for anyone whatever age/experience so might be a better option if you're at all worried about the red.

redx

Did the blue & green route's on Saturday with a friend's lad who I think is 13 and he loved it. Climbs aren't as bad as on the red route but the downs are pretty good. Did the two routes in about an hour and a half.
    Luffy's also got his Drop-Off cafe bus parked in the Byrgwm car park most weekends which is great, and if you fancy some more riding you can always make shorter loops out of both the black and the green routes.

Final section of the green route is a lot of fun if you're carrying speed….

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Drop off cafe bus is a must

redx

Agree with mrmichaelwright – Luffy's a great host and I think the bus is a great idea…..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member
    Taff
    Free Member

It's all fine. There's a few dodgy bits in terms of rock drops etc and the final descent back down to the car park can be a bit hairy but fine if you take care. My old man does it regularly and he's not a huge biker and is 66 and my sister of 34 who definately isn't a rider does it with him from time to time with no problems.

funkyhooda
    Free Member

would either of these trails be suitable for a 10 year old with no fear that enjoys jumping dustbins off a ramp on his bmx? would have to get him some decent tyres and uphill might be a walk but do you reckon he would enjoy it? i havent been to brechfa for a few years but going again this year and my son keeps on at me to take him

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Blue and Green are both great for kids, more than suitable for a 10 year old.

The green trail is the perfect starting point for a "proper" MTB ride, the Blue adds a couple of extra features making it a good transition. The red is mostly OK as its not too steep, but there are a few sections that require skill/balls.

I'd be tempted to do the green/blue first, then go onto the Gorlech (red).

funkyhooda
    Free Member

might have to take him for a ride to see if he likes it then, would be pretty boring for me though 🙁 but the way he is on his bmx i think he could do very well

sofatester
    Free Member

The green trail is the perfect starting point for a "proper" MTB ride

Define “proper”?

As I didn’t notice any river crossings, knee deep bogs or climb up-walk down sections 😉

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Cheers guys, looks as though I'll opt for the green/blue with a sneaky early morning visit to the red and black the following day. That is as long as my 'pass' hasn't expired. 🙂

Anyone ridden the black mountain killer loop?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

By proper I mean not just fire roads.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa, Gorlech trail’ is closed to new replies.