Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brechfa & Afan – current conditions and closures
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I’m taking a youth MTB Club to Afan and Brechfa this weekend, and was just after some local knowledge on current conditions to make sure the lads are appropriately kitted out.

How muddy/wet are the trails after recent wet weather?

Particularly any diversion trails at Afan which i’ve found to be very boggy in the past! Anyone rode them today, are they drying out?

Are there any trail closures etc to be aware of?

Planning Brechfa Saturday and Afan on Sunday.

Are the midges out in full effect? (we’re camping)

Thanks in advance

Paceman

Paceman
    Free Member

Anyone? 😕

magowen100
    Free Member

Do a search on the forum for Brechfa – IIRC someone posted recently saying the black route was closed due to roadworks on the approach road, so only the Golech (Red) trail was open.
    No idea about Afan I’m afraid.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I rode most of Brechfa Black last week, no access problems.

Also rode the Wall at Afan on Saturday where there was a diversion near the top of the final climb. No sections missed out, just a diversion to miss some forestry work going on.

pease
    Free Member

we did the brechfa red on sat, and it was fine even in the rain. the midges are about in the forest tho.so just dont stop haha 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

I’m hoping it’ll have dried out a bit by the weekend, and there’s enough breeze to keep the midges at bay, the kids will seriously moan if eaten alive 😈

pinkfloydian
    Free Member

Skyline’s diversion is horrendous, very boggy and swampy and a good half a mile of it, young kids may struggle to get through as it was almost as deep as a wheel in some parts.

Whites and y wal are fully open. Penhydd well has been closed for a long time. Last weekend some parts of whites and y wal were a bit wet and slippy (I came off twice).

I’m doing Whites and the end of skyline tomorrow I’ll check back here to update on what the tracks are like now, they should be a lot better due to the nice weather the past 2 days.

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers PinkFloydian, that’d be great 😀

Nipper99
    Free Member

there is no need to use the diversion on skyline as all the singletrack is open i.e granada.

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Nipper, the forecast is looking good 8)

rusty90
    Free Member

IIRC someone posted recently saying the black route was closed due to roadworks on the approach road, so only the Golech (Red) trail was open.

Officially the routes out of Byrgwm are closed, according to the FC, in reality they’re all open and the road works are currently confined to some traffic lights between Nantyffin and Abergorlech.
    Trails have dried out nicely, and the midges aren’t that bad. I was out on Monday night and didn’t get bitten once 🙂

pinkfloydian
    Free Member

The tracks at Afan have dried up nicely, some bits are still a little bit smushy where the sun can’t get to but it’s looking a lot better than it has been the last few weeks.

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers guys ?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ah brill, i’m riding the same trails this weekend so good to hear what the dealio is. thanks pinkfloydian

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa & Afan – current conditions and closures’ is closed to new replies.