Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Breathing gone a bit weird on bike
  • rascal
    Free Member

Hardly been a prolific climber, but noticed about 4-5 weeks ago half way up a climb my breathing suddenly went crazy – like I couldn’t get anywhere near enough air in. Never had it before but have had it a few times since – yesterday being the last time on a pretty innocuous road climb. The intakes are shallow and quick – no noise. I’ve had hay fever over last 10 years or so – sometimes hardly anything and sometimes streaming eyes but never anything like this. No other hay fever symptoms at mo either.
    I don’t expect a diagnosis on here but I’m a little concerned about how suddenly this has come on. The wife’s no doctor but has suggested taking antihistamine tablets to see if it makes any difference. Any suggestions? 😕

orangespyderman

Any suggestions?

I’d suggest you either go and get a wife who is a doctor, or keep your wife that isn’t and go and use someone else’s husband/wife who is a doctor for a consultation.

But if you want to keep plugging away at asking medical advice from random (and very random, at that) people on the internet, I’d say spasms in your diaphragm and have no idea what the cause could be (never mind is).

sobriety
    Free Member

Codeine

I’m not a doctor.

scaredypants

chestiness

don’t waste A&E’s time with it – straight off to the morgue with you

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers scaredy

Esme
    Free Member

Asthma? It’s possible to develop this at any age.

scaredypants

No bother

Though I should qualify the above – I’m only actually a doctor of lurve

Squirrel

Friend (runner) started having sudden breathlessness when running. Turned out to be blood clots. I’d get it checked by an actual doctor.

nickdavies

Very similar here. Only in the past 6 weeks, happened a few times under hard effort worst one on Sunday. Could barely breathe. I’m not in the best shape I’ve ever been but i know I can climb a lot longer and harder than I have been when this has triggered. Mildly concerned it could be something more serious like asthma and I’ve never suffered from hay fever so I’m going to see the doc.

scaredypants

I’m only actually a doctor of lurve

oh, and chestiness – I’m pretty much definitely a doctor of that. In fact, if any of you have any lurve related chestiness I may be able to help with a degree of certainty, safety and keen pricing that conventional “medicine” 🙄 can only dream of

ajantom

Sounds very similar to me around this time of year 2 years ago. Longtime hay fever sufferer too. Turned out to be asthma. On the brown inhaler (and carry a blue one on rides) felt a lot better since taking them.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I get similar, I’m sure its related to a hiatus hernia which can have all sorts of weird effects on your vagus nerve. Usually on first hardish climb or burst of effort and then passes once that has passed. I had some breathing physio which helped a bit and keep off anything that might make your gut bloat – I gave up dairy products and went lactose free which also helped. All in all a right pain in the chuff and quit frustrating – I did try and push through it by forcing deep breaths but that causes a blackout!

BigJohn

You’ll be fine after the triple bypass.

skaifan
    Free Member

Possibly a condition known as Lungo. Could also be the slips or just body damage. Normally treated by cutting your entire body off. This may come as some surprise, but I am no doctor despite having done a first aid course in 2001.

martinhutch

Your local GP will have the necessary equipment to diagnose and remove your cat AIDS.

Personally I wouldn’t muck about with internet diagnoses on this kind of respiratory issue. Just pop down the surgery. The problem will be whether you can reproduce the symptoms on cue. Perhaps visit a doctor at the top of a large hill.

My sister is a GP, so obviously I am much expert in these things.

jody
    Free Member

I had this crop up about a year ago. It started in winter and only if I pushed too hard but it can happen at any time in the year. Feels like you can’t exhale enough and in turn you can’t take a full breath. Turned out to be excersize induced Asthma. Don’t mess with symptoms like this and get to the docs. I was given a blue inhaler to use before I go out and not had a problem since, other than when I forget it.

rascal
    Free Member

After Sunday’s breathing episode, I’ve been out twice since on longer rides – nothing! No hint of the breathing problems at all – very bizarre!

Stevet1
    Free Member

chemtrails. That’s all I have to say. Was there a plane flying overhead last time you experienced these ‘symptoms’?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Breathing gone a bit weird on bike’ is closed to new replies.