Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Breast Cancer and Chemotherapy Experiences
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

About a 2 months ago my wife was diagnosed with early breast cancer.
    The day after getting back from our holiday to Australia she had a mastectomy. Yesterday we had the results of the tests on removed breast tissue. The consultant gave the good news that they had removed it and that it hadn’t spread.

The consultant then said it was up to us as to whether my wife should have chemotherapy on the grounds that the mastectomy had removed the cancer.

Have you or you other half been in a similar situation?

I not really sure why, if it’s all gone, you would want to put yourself through chemo. The only thing I can think of is that the chemo is like a full rinse of the bad cells.

freeagent
    Free Member

My Mum had it 7 years ago.
    Had a mastectomy and test results showed that the cancer had spread to a couple of lymphnodes.
    She had 6 months of Chemo, which was really hard work, but she stuck with it.
    After 5 years she was discharged from the Hospital and is now taking a ‘maintenance drug’ which she has to stay on for life.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question – as opinion will vary from doctor to doctor.

The other option could be shorter dose of Chemo (my mate had just two blasts of it after early stage testicular cancer)

I can only suggest you talk it through with the doctors.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve no personal experience of it but…

My friend Nicky has been through breast cancer and come out the other side.

She’s an inspirational woman who has done some incredible things. She got a website http://www.runbg.co.uk/
    Which has a section on her journey through treatment etc.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Breast Cancer and Chemotherapy Experiences’ is closed to new replies.