Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 320 total)
  • Breaking up the Union. What would it mean for the constituent countries?
  • trailmonkey

a night of counter claim awaits …NNNNNNOOOOOOO

My work here is done

druidh
    Free Member

If I was to choose just one reason for Scotland becoming independent it would be to hear the end of Scots blaming the English for all their woes.

thehustler
    Free Member

recent well known scottish politician, Gordon brown,with peeps like him how long before scotland would run themselves into the ground, as you know to raise finance he would probably sell off the oil fields at rock bottom rate

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You mean Gordon Brown – the most effective chancellor that I remember the 70s? So he made mistakes – however name me a chancellor in the last 50 years with a better record? A decade of unprecedented growth without inflation, no recession etc.

binners

Well said Jezzer. He completely eliminated Boom and Bust! He said so himself

Oh…. erm… hang on a minute?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Name a chancellor with a better record? Lamont? Don’t be stupid. Lawson – you could make a case but recessions, increased unemployment and multiple boom and bust.

Remember a decade of uninterrupted growth with low inflation and low interest rates. Unemployment decreasing. Prosperity increasing and more money for public services.

So name a better

binners

Prosperity increasing

shall i spell it out… IT WASN”T REAL. NONE OF IT. IT WAS ALL ON CREDIT

One sentence uncle Jez

“worst recession since the 1930’s”

Cause: The complete failure to regulate the banks, or a ridiculous property and credit bubble, and lets **** face it here…. even admit there was a problem in the first place. Frankly he makes Lawson and Lamont look like rank amateurs.

Unfortunately I think young Mr Osbourne will end up trumping the lot

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The recession had external causes and was not while Brown was chancellor.

So name a better one? Thats the question. We all know he had faults and made mistakes but compared the other chancellors that I remember

So who was better?

binners

erm…

DaRC_L

Remember a decade of uninterrupted growth with low inflation and low interest rates. Unemployment decreasing. Prosperity increasing and more money for public services.

Hmmm trouble is do modern day (i.e. post 70’s) Chancellors actually have that great an effect or do external factors mean they just ride the economic cycle?
    In which case given the length between the bust’s is a Chancellor foolish to consider that the boom-bust cycle is broken and should be frugal preparing for a greater bust after a decade or more of boom?

Talking of cycles I shall ponder this whilst riding the long way home….

Junkyard
    Free Member

My work here is done

makes chicken noises whilst pulling faces 😉

backhander
    Free Member

He rode the wave of credit and took all of the kudos, then blamed everything else when it went wrong.
    Gordo was like a bloke with 100% mortgage, maxed credit cards, car on HP etc blaming the world economy for his monetary problems

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So who was better then?

backhander
    Free Member

Buggered if I know but then if Gordo was the best then we’re in deep trouble indeed. And no, I don’t hold much hope of gideon or vince being any better either.

Junkyard
    Free Member

all politicians take the credit and not the blame. Gordo rode the wave for sure – does any country actually controll capitalsims??- but I cant ever see George being touted for the IMF.

epicyclo

DaRC_L – Member
    Declaration of Arbroath – ahh everyone Scotsman should raise a toast to Edward Longshanks for the creation of their country. Without him they’d have gradually drifted into Union quite peacefully.

Bit like the English should thank the Bastard of Normandy?

But you’re probably right. IMO one of the really great English kings. Without him Scotland could have ended up as 2 countries – the Scandanavian north and the football mob in the south.

However the past provides lessons, and that is a good reason for Scottish independence.

Coyote
    Free Member

Arc of prosperity

Wasn’t this Alex Salmond’s proposed daliance with the financial giant that is Iceland?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Will TJ be actually allowed to remain in Scotland or will he need to apply for a visa?
    Worth reading.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

not worth reading

check SNP policy. IIRC I am what is known as an “assimilated scot” There are some scots local to me that are rather brown in complexion. They speak broad scots. Their family has been here for generations

Its a subtle but important concept – there is the “people of Scotland” and the “the scots people” anyone with any intelligence and an understanding of the issues knows the difference

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bored now. 😐

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

FREEUNDRED! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Frikkn glory hunter!

I do all the hard work and you come along and swipe all the glory

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Trolled. 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TROLL FAIL SBZ, as it has actually bin a reasonably interesting and lively debate.

Pwned by your own troll attempt! 😆

Ha ha!

You’ve bin pwned!
    You’ve bin pwned!
    Nah nah na nah na!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Elf – if you find that interesting and lively you really do need to get out more.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe I do, maybe I do.

But if you find trolling so amusing, then I’d suggest it’s you who might benefit from excursions beyond the confines of your own abode a bit more… 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Elf – studying mate. Needed something to take my mind off the brain damage that is neurorehab.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It was fairly obvious SBZ

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TJ – I know.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well if your trolling attempt has ended up as a lively, interesting and entertaining debate amongst others, then I’d say you’ve failed, quite frankly.

You’re just peeved cos your ego hasn’t bin satisfied, and you’re now trying to claw back some sort of gratification, which has long since escaped you…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

You’re just peeved cos your ego hasn’t bin satisfied, and you’re now trying to claw back some sort of gratification, which has long since escaped you…

LIsten carefully SBZ, you’re being advised by the internet’s premier attention whore – Mr PaddedSafetyFred himself.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s right, and don’t you forget it, SBZ! 😉

😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Trolled. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Truth is though SBZ; the discussion was a bit too intellectual for you, wasn’t it? Hence, you got concerned that you weren’t getting the attention you’d hoped for, so bring out the ‘I was trolling’ line again.

This kind of tactic shall henceforth be known as the ‘SBZ Defence’.

😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

See above. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See what this is like, right, is this:

You’ve baked a load of cookies, with the intention of lacing them with laxative and distributing them to unsuspecting others, as a means of getting attention. Then forgetting to add the laxatives, but give them out anyway. Then, people are enjoying the cookies, and hang around for a bit of a chat and that. You get miffed that they’re all ignoring you, then you say ‘Ha! But you’re all eating my cookies’. And they just look at you as if to say, ‘yeah, and?’ Leaving you to have to quickly think up another way to get attention…

It’s like that.

HTH. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

SBZ you want to troll him do a LFC thread 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Junkyard – I would do, but that would be too easy with him being a plastic fan ad all that. 😉

Elfin – Why you talking about cookies?

Hmmm- Cookies.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why you talking about cookies?

Still a bit too compulcated for yer?

Oh dear… 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 320 total)

The topic ‘Breaking up the Union. What would it mean for the constituent countries?’ is closed to new replies.