Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 320 total)
  • Breaking up the Union. What would it mean for the constituent countries?
  • binners

Just out of intrest, what’s so bad about being British anyway?

He’s as English as a Sunday roast with Yorkshire puddings and English mustard, Sat in the Red Lion drinking Bitter. He’s like one of dem self-hating jews innit? 🙂 Imagine if it ended up like Yugoslavia! You might be ethnically cleansed TJ

Bagpuss – Where you going on the yacht? other side of Angelzarc? Nice day for it. Mind if i tag along? 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m neither for or against. If the majority of Scots want it, they should have it. They will survive the turmoil it causes. And so will the English and Welsh.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

[/quote]Just out of intrest, what’s so bad about being British anyway?

It involves being guilty by association with bams like this…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6lupC6WyE[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So that guys presumably a lot different to all the Scots who want ‘Scotland to be about Scottish’?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ81OCr0im8[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

England would have a tory government for ever

You really don’t understand the mechanics of bourgeois democracy do you TJ …. there’s no chance of that.

It is one of the eternal truths that no electorate in any bourgeois democracy is ever sufficiently satisfied with its governments, that it wishes to keep the same party in power indefinitely.

Capitalism is more or less in constant crises and because of the contradictions of capitalism, no party is ever able to resolve the crises satisfactorily.

This invariably leads to a dissatisfied electorate which eventually votes the governing party out of office. Opposition parties everywhere, rarely “win” elections – governments nearly always “lose” them.

So whilst it might appear that a English Welsh union would always have a Tory government, the dialectical conditions would very quickly lead to the creation of an opposing force – with which power would rotate.

In parliamentary democracies throughout the world power between ruling and opposition parties is very finely balanced, and they find their equilibrium very quickly – you will never have a three-quarters to a quarter ratio for very long.

toys19
    Free Member

You didn’t want to listen last time we did this why should I waste my time again especially as its a moot point anyway.

Umm find me the thread where I have discussed this with you before? Because I haven’t.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is a xenophopic element to those who are in favour of scottish independence but its a very small minority. The majority are liberal and international minded. For example there is a very clear position on “the people of Scotland” that includes folk like me and Mr Patel my grocer.

The SNP are a liberal, internationalist party. I can’t even remember what the right wing nationalist nuts are called – some equivalent of the BNP and completely marginalised

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If it wasn’t you toys then I apologise. However its been done to death.

Have a look at this WIKI link. Lots of references there but all of the oil and gas north of the 55th parallel is scotlands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Scotland%27s_oil

JEngledow
    Free Member

He’s as English as a Sunday roast with Yorkshire puddings and English mustard, Sat in the Red Lion drinking Bitter He’s like one of dem self-hating jews innit?

I’m not sure what that means, but you’ve still not answered the question.

Surely having a United Kingdom means that we have totally open borders and so can move freely to whatever area we deem to be best. If we were separate countries this could be harder.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

EDIT: I’m not getting drawn into thes nonsense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

JEngledow – Member

Surely having a United Kingdom means that we have totally open boarders and so can move freely to whatever area we deem to be best. If we were separate countries this could be harder

Like moving from Germany to France? Norway to Sweden?

binners

The SNP are a liberal, internationalist party.

They are indeed. Alex Salmond was forever expressing admiration for the tax regime of Ireland and the regulatory framework of Iceland and holding them both up as shining examples of what Scotland could aspire too.

What’s the economic policy now TJ? Is there one? Come on… what’s Plan B?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Like moving from Germany to France? Norway to Sweden?

That’s possible because they are all part of the EU, if England and Scotland were to split would they both automativally remain in the EU or would they need to re-apply?

Edit: I appreciate that Norway are not a EU member state, but have an agreement in place (I think) which would obviously take some time to set-up.

toys19
    Free Member

TJ apology accepted, it wasn’t me.
    I am keen to know more despite your apparent fear of any trap I may be baiting for you..
    1) that link isn’t clear at all on the legal position.
    2) My knowledge of this comes from a time in the early noughties when I was doing some consultancy for a scottish owned oil services company who spent a lot of time moaning about how the oil was excluded in devolution. It is a well known fact in the oil industry.
    3) I think Scotland should have its independence if that’s what the scots want.

lardybiker
    Free Member

A self financing scotland would be quite interesting to see.

How would the state pay for itself?

Im sure scots are aware of the fact and hats why they will never vote for independance.

Im starting the campaign now for Enagland and wales independance from scotland.

5thElefant
    Free Member

3) I think Scotland should have its independence if that’s what the scots want

It’s not. It’s what the English want.

gonefishin
    Free Member

TJ a lot of what you is supposition and depends on how you interpret the statistics, but this bit

England would have a tory government for ever

is demonstrably wrong. In every vote where there has been a winner in a UK general election, the party that won an overall majority of the seats in the UK also won the majority of the seats in England.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is English arrogance to think Scotland cannot self finance itself without you.

It’s what the English want.

Poor troll not to your usual standard

sadmadalan

So tempted to join in, but I must restrain myself!!!!!

No good………

Splitting the UK would take a long time and not be cheap. Obviously if Scotland wants to leave, it has to pick up the legal costs. Generally the oil goes to Scotland and the Gas to England, Wales and NI. Both the Gas and Oil are going to run out.

Just remember that a share of the National Debt also ends up in Scotland, roughly 1/12th of the debt that is currently causing all the problems.

Scotland would lose its influence in the World. It would have to join the UN, EU and other organisations. The remaining part of the UK would retain existing membership. Scotland is not a poor country and as such would find itself a net contributor to the EU

And as for the currency. Assuming that it abandoned Sterling (control from London) then the options would be its own currency or the Euro (control from Brussels/Frankfurt).

The biggest gainers would be the SNP

IanMunro
    Free Member

I hope it’s going to be Scotland for the Scotch though. DNA tests for all. Throw out the incomers and give their homes to pure bloods such as me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Toys – there are several sources of the claim for “its Scotlands oil” outlined in the wiki link.

1) when the oil exploration started there was a need for establishing who had jurisdiction over what areas. thus “The Continental Shelf Act 1964 and the Continental Shelf (Jurisdiction) Order 1968 defines the UK North Sea maritime area to the north of latitude 55 degrees north as being under the jurisdiction of Scots law[6] meaning that 90% of the UK’s oil resources were under Scottish jurisdiction.[7]”

So thats puts most of the oil under Scotlands jurisdiction.

2) There there are various international treaties that set out how the seabed should be divided – IIRC the principles from this law were used to give the results above

United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea is probably the main one involved here but there are others IIRC that are pertinent. Again these give a similar result. Its the same rules that allow Norway to claim a large part of the north sea.

There is a group of political thinkers who want the oil to remain English. They use all sorts of manoeuvres and odd interpretations to try to show that these various provisions and treaties do not apply but its hard to see that they don’t

Its all terribly hypothetical anyway as there will not be a majority in Scotland for independence I doubt and if there was it would be a foolish English government that challenged well understood international law. In the event of a dispute there are international mechanisms for dealing with them Is there not a dispute at the moment over the attempt by Russia to lay claim to the Arctic? The same laws have been used to divide up the Antarctica seabed and around the Falkland Islands.

As regards oil not being included in the devolution settlement – of course it was not. that would have given Scotland financial independence and cut a large source of revenue to the exchequer. There are a large number of similar things that remain “reserved matters” – reserved for Westminster not Holyrood. Such as energy policy, tax policy

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I hope it’s going to be Scotland for the Scotch though. DNA tests for all. Throw out the incomers and give their homes to pure bloods such as me.

Can I get a sham marriage to get in?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is that a proposal TSY?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’re my Uncle Jeremy… is that allowed?

IanMunro
    Free Member

You might have to fluff the odd sporan, but I don’t see why not.

binners

This is really moving. Love really does conquer all

*bursts into tears*

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

In every vote where there has been a winner in a UK general election, the party that won an overall majority of the seats in the UK also won the majority of the seats in England.

I would interested to see the figures to back that up ?

Just looking at the previous general election in 2005 suggests that is not the case :

“The Conservatives managed to return 198 MPs, 33 more than they had previously and managed to win the popular vote in England.”

Kuco

Will everyone from Corby have to move up to scotland?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If they do break away, English incomers will be the first against the wall 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Scotland would be richer not having to support England.

😆

It would be if Englishmen like you moved out and gave all your assets back to the people of Scotland…. 😉

What a nonsense argument. Why do you persist with such utter tosh, TJ? Hmm?

You’ve really not thought this through, have you?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

TJ – The Nationalist nutters you mention are the blackshirted members of the SnG or Sons of the Gael in English.
    Those lovely fellows who burn (or attempt to burn) the Union Flag at the anniversary of Bannockburn and who claim that Scotland is for the ‘ethnic Scots’*. Also have a little thing about not allowing homosexuality in Scotland.

*Might not be a good idea to vote for them TJ 😛

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

My Mrs and one of the kids (the ginger one) is a jock, does this mean I could get rid? They’re a lot of work in the summer and factor 50 sun tan lotion is pricey.

McHamish
    Free Member

Ha…where would the English be without our exports of haggis, Irn Bru and Tunnocks Caramel Wafers.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Slimmer and with more teeth?

RichPenny
    Free Member

If Scotland ever gained independence, you can bet that a select few oily bastards would be making a fat profit from the change, whilst the average person gained nothing at all.

shooterman

On a slight tangent, there’s every chance Sinn Feinn will top the poll in NI and they have called for a referendum on reunification of the island.

poly
    Free Member

SbZ The Scottish goverment elections are coming up fairly soon, and from where I am sitting the SNP are in with a really good chance of getting a majority this time round.

Eh? Which polls have you been reading / listening to?

Whilst I don’t trust polls, and the PR system is not quite a straight forward as it could be the SNP have been getting at the most around about 40% – which is not a majority.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

When all is said and done TJ, you’re not a Scot and never will be.

What you are is a whiny, self-hating Fisher Price pseudo-celt. England is better off without you, but Scots Nats types will never truly accept you. That’s the reality of the situation no matter what sort of tartan gloss you try and put on it.

You’re at last as tedious as those white muslim converts that start banging on about jihad, less than a year after their last sausage roll.

How’s the buy-to-let going? I do hope you’re not depriving a young Scottish couple of a home with your English money.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The SNP have proven themselves reasonably capable while in office and I think that might have now taken them beyond the view that some had of them as a one-issue party.

I don’t see independence happening anytime soon, however I’ll still consider voting SNP in the Scottish elections as they do appear to be the most capable of the parties up here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bravohotel8er – Member

When all is said and done TJ, you’re not a Scot and never will be.

(Blah blah blah load of petty jingoistic blah removed)

with your English money.

🙄
    English money? You mistake for for a newcomer. I moved to Scotland first in 1970.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 320 total)

The topic ‘Breaking up the Union. What would it mean for the constituent countries?’ is closed to new replies.