Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Breaking up Concrete?
  • fathomer

Our garden is a mess (inherited) and we’re trying to sort it!

This weekend’s task (amongst others)is removing an old fence post that’s concreted in where I want to put the shed I intend on putting up at some point. So far I’ve dug around the post and there is a large lump of concrete attached to it that needs breaking up before it can be removed.

So recommendations on how to break it up? So far I’ve had a go with a lump hammer & bolster and whacked it with a sledge hammer, both with little effect!

iolo
    Free Member

Petrol breaker.
    Available from every tool hire depot.

highclimber
    Free Member

Why don’t you just chop the offending post off at the lowest point and backfill. unless you need to dig some foundations that is?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uwe-r
    Free Member

Just done the same.

The biggest sledge hammer you’ve got is generally the answer. If you can start of some cracks with a chisel that can help, also digging out one side so it is half supported will encourage it to break up.

Other than that just keep hitting it.

nickjb
    Free Member

You’ll struggle without a big tool. I have quite a few similar jobs to do so bought a breaker from screwfix for £150. Great bit of kit and handy to have. Probably overkill for a one off so rent something.

http://m.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb280drh-15-5kg-breaker-230v/67819

trail_rat
    Free Member

SDS drill with chisel function.

reasonable sized chisel bit.

then your left with a reasonably useful tool afterwards as oppose to a 1 trick pony 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Never go into a job with tools that might not be up to the job. Concrete? You need one of these…

Rachel

highclimber
    Free Member

iolo
    Free Member

You could also try plug and feathers

nickjb
    Free Member

SDS drill with chisel function.

You might get away with that if it is a weak mix or not that old but it was hammering away for half and hour or so with my SDS not making a dent that prompted me to go and get the big breaker. You need an SDS as well, though, so maybe go buy one first and try it 🙂

footflaps

I bought one of these from Screwfix the other week. Really impressed by it and the same price as two WEs hire fees for a breaker.

Breaker by brf, on Flickr

nickjb
    Free Member

I bought one of these from Screwfix the other week

That’s the one I have, it is very impressive. Mine isn’t as shiny and new looking, though :mrgreen:

wwaswas

I have a slightly smaller version of that thing footflaps posted.

Cost about £40 and for putting concrete spurs onto existing posts it’s been great for breaking up one side of the existing concrete base.

But as above, why dig it out, just cut the post off and leave it in place.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

yup i did this job two weeks ago – hired a breaker from Jewsons – similar to what footflaps shows above, made light work of what turned out to be reinforced posts…

fathomer

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Unfortunately it needs digging out as for some reason it sits about 6″ higher than the other 2/3’s of the area the shed will be going.

So it looks like I may need to spend a bit more than I was anticipating. Hiring something looks like the best bet though I may have another go with the sledge hammer and a chisel first.

Pigface
    Free Member

Do Screwfix do nuclear weapons?

iolo
    Free Member

Get a petrol breaker

qwerty
    Free Member

Breaking concrete is childs play….

footflaps

Do Screwfix do nuclear weapons?

Yep Makita and DeWalt. They did do own brand Russian ones, but they were a bit unstable….

jambourgie
    Free Member

mucker

Save yourself some money its only a wee ball of concrete, borrow or buy a pinch bar (one end a chisel the other a point) and set about it in a systematic manner, won’t take you more than half a hours vigorous exercise.
    If you’re struggling, I’ll send the wife round.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got a hydraulic jack hammer with my power pack. I never had occasion to use it until my brother had to excavate a channel for the utilities to his ruin. He spent a day with a hammer, chisel sds drill and pinch bar getting nowhere. The jack hammer made mincemeat of it. You’ll need a double helping of porrage in the morning though.

Edric64
    Free Member

My dad did get a bloke to use explosives .A few friends are licensed to use them as they work on quarries or use them in cave digging and the concrete reinforced post didnt last long .Tamped it down with bags of water to contain the debris and no mess to clear up

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Breaking up Concrete?’ is closed to new replies.