Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Breaking threadlocked 242 pivot bolts?
  • Wally

What can I use to encourage a threadlocked pivot bolt and it’s nut to separate? On to last pair, four all done. I am putting to much force onto the two allen keys that I am frightened any more will rip up the aluminium bolt head.Boiling water?

I know it has threadlock 242 on it because the manual says so.

Wally.

wiggles
    Free Member

Interested to see what people suggest, Im at the same point with my intense, just got the frame and stripped it down because the usual “all the bearings are fine” means some of them appear to be lubricated with sand.

All the lower link came off fine, but the top 4 linkage bolts are super tight, one has rounded a bit because I tried so hard to undo it (used decent tools) going to have to source some replacements before I try and get them out, luckily the top bearings seem OK so I can replace the lower ones and use it as it is for now.

scc999

This link: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/directions/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

suggests heating to 250degC if hand tools can’t undo the bolt!

Using boiling water can’t hurt though!

Good luck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dovebiker

Hair dryer or hot air gun will soften the Loctite

mtbmaff
    Free Member

We are constantly doing this at work, 30mins in a 80*c oven will loosen it. Or use a hot air gun but you won’t need 250*c.

Wally

Ok, 1 min with a hot air gun on low and wood is smoking behind bolt, (wood between metal and frame) and it’s still not budging. longer heat?

Wally

Slept on it and used a vice to hold pivot architecture and heat gun on full to boil out the loctite. On seeing the liquid boiling out of the thread I gave it a mighty yank in the right direction (clockwise to loosen – due to double ended bolt)and “crack” the pivot bolt moved. Stainless bearings all going in with weaker blue threadlocker. Won’t be rushing to do this job again.
    So very pleased I did not rip out the delicate aluminium bolt holes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Breaking threadlocked 242 pivot bolts?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts