• This topic has 33 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by barn.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Breaking into your own home? (serious and desperate question)
  • barn
    Free Member

I have lost my keys.
    I am not a criminal, looting mainiac.
    I have just lost my keys and need to get in.

I have double glazed window with external beading and having once been burgled, I know it OS possible to prize off beading, cut the sealing hong and pop the window out with little damage.
    Does anyone know how exactly this works?

Failing that, what are the options? Presumably locksmiths charge an absolute fortune?
    Am in a real pickle here.
    Any thoughts or help gratefully received.

Thank you.
    Barn

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What sort of door lock do you have?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The quadrant should be fairly easy to pop out. Slife a flat (preferably stiff) instrument inbetween the frame and quadrant, and prize it off. Keep working along untill you can remove the entire quadrant (and all the other sides.

If you have a “traditional” door (ie wood, single lock) they are fairly easy to break too. You will knacker the frame/lock/door though. I chose this method when I locked myself out (Windows were internally glazed!)

Jamie
    Free Member

Smash the smallest window you can get away with, in order to gain entry. Assuming you have a Yale lock on doors, and non key locked latches on windows.

…no-one else got a spare key? Family member etc? It might work out cheaper to kip around a mates and have a key sent via special delivery.

donsimon
    Free Member

Have you got a credit card on you? And what type of lock is it?

iDave
    Free Member

I tried the credit card thing and snapped the card – then used it to pay a locksmith 🙄

barn
    Free Member

Yale lock, standard ol lever jobbie (with a “London Bar” holding the female bracket in place and a sigle Chubb.

ski
    Free Member

Patio window by any chance?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

phone a locksmith, cheaper than repairing a window

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The beading will come off dead easy with a screwdriver. Totally depends on whether the DG is bonded to the frame – if it isn’t it will lift straight out. If it is, it would be cheaper to get a locksmith than a new DG unit.

piha
    Free Member

See if you can remove the rubber gasket that is found between the plastic glazing bead and the double glazed unit. This will make removing the glazing bead easier.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you want to do this through email- info@simoncarter.es rather than publishing it here?

barn
    Free Member

@ don simon – good call, will mail as it keeps this stuff off air.

@ Piha – ditto, ps I remember you from the SdW in a day mission recently!

Am going to drive now, am still 2 hrs from home, so will mail for some advice in the morning.

Thanks all

grantway
    Free Member

Done similar a couple of years ago, which was on Christmas eve
    had to knock on the neighbours door and explain and climb over
    the wall and smash the window with an hammer and then repairing
    it before meeting the Mrs .
    Only thing was forgotten to tell the mrs and when we came back she was in total
    panic.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I watched an episode of X files years ago and there was some chap who managed to fit down a chimney. You could give that a go if all else fails.

Dont eat anyones liver though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just do like I did 7 days before Christmas after a monster sesh,and a ruck with a cabby. Throw a rock through the patio doors! Seemples!!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ve been having a nice hot bath. You in yet?

donsimon
    Free Member

Reports TSY for not paying attention.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was just wondering the same thing as TSY! OTherwise pop to local plod shop and ask for local burglars tel number they’ll be around in a shot especially if you give them teh sat nav.. WAY cheaper than a locksmith!!

stumpyjon

Beading will come out easily, glass shouldn’t as it will be (or should be) attached to the frame with windows security tape.

Door locks may be bumpable though…..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ve been having a nice hot bath. You in yet?

Yes. I’m behind you!

Muhahahahahah!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*passes Jamie the loofah*

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers, now this may sting a bit.

Northwind

I spent ages while drunk carefully removing a windowpane so I could get in… Obviously I then dropped the windowpane.

barn
    Free Member

Some hilarious posts!
    You lot have certainly made my little ‘end-of-holiday’ mini drama a lot more amusing.

Have decided not to attack windows tonight.
    Will try and get it sorted early tomorrow, I think the neighbours and police will prefer it.

Kip in car.
    Hopefully no one will nick my Cotic off the roof while I’m asleep!

UncleFred
    Free Member

I locked myself out a few weeks ago. Thought about what to do for a minute or so.

Got a step ladder from my unlocked garage.

Climbed onto the conservatory roof via the party wall that separates our house from next door and then in though an open bedroom window. Took about 30 seconds, probably not much point locking the house when I go out.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

8 iron into the small window by the back door got me into my house.

Good job my shed was unlocked and the spiders webs weren’t totally hiding the clubs!

you have to hit double glazing surprisingly hard to get it to smash.

flatfish
    Free Member

Makes me laugh, threads like this. 😀

Is he in yet?

theotherjonv

8 iron into the small window by the back door got me into my house.

you have to hit double glazing surprisingly hard to get it to smash

It will if you use the wrong club. You need a putter for putting a window in.

Xylene
    Free Member

I once used a hasp to turn my chub lock inside my front door in newcastle. Just stuck it through the letterbox and managed to get it to turn. I was quite fortunate that my next door neighbour had a hasp lying there. I had just triple dropped and faced the prospect of a manic taxi journey to my folks house to get the spare keys before I came up or accept that I would be locked out of the house for at least three days.

Jase
    Free Member

Call your house insurance company and they’ll arrange for it to be sorted.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Have you got in yet?

I’ve been really worried about you. Well, I didn’t lose any sleep in my luxurious king size bed with egyptian cotton sheets, but I was a little concerned.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I forgot to take a house key with me to work a few weeks ago, I got home and everyone was out. I got in worryingly easily, the hardest part was climbing over the back garden gate in motorbike leathers. 😕

barn
    Free Member

Am in!!!!!
    Phew.

So, broke into sisters house (far too easily) and slept there for a few hours.
    Got hold of a mate who had keys at 6am, dumped car & cycled cross town to meet her, then hacked it back across town.

In the end I was only 20 mins late for work and the whole thing cost me nout, which is a big result!

Thanks again for funny comments – kept me going through a confused and rather sleepless night.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Breaking into your own home? (serious and desperate question)’ is closed to new replies.