Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Breaking front spokes on Roadrat
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Had my Roadrat a couple of years now and in that time it’s regularly broken spokes on the front wheel- more than I’ve had in the previous 20+ years put together! I put this down to an iffy front wheel with the rest being weakened after the first spokes went, perhaps with something to do with V-brakes on a disc-dished wheel, but a couple of months ago I lost patience and put on the wheel from my old tourer instead. The other day JRA and ping, another broken front spoke.

Any reason why a particular bike should be more susceptible to breaking front spokes? It’s a SS.

debaser

Is it the roadrat wheels? Had a couple go on mine quite soon after I got it. Once one goes the rest are normally quick to follow IME.

Went for a full rebuild after the second instance, been fine for the few years since.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Yeah, the original wheel that came with it went through a few, but it’s replacing the wheel and still breaking a spoke fairly quickly that’s making me wonder if it could be something to do with the bike itself.

jamiea
    Free Member

I used my SS RR with the original wheels for two years with no problems. Since being knocked off I I’ve been using a pair of Rigida Snyper rims, with PG Sapim spokes on Deore hubs I built myself and they’ve been fine too.

Thinking about it I’ve never had a spoke snap on me- not putting too fine a point on it- are you a chubster at all ❓ 🙂

Cheers,
    Jamie

MrSalmon
    Free Member

How very dare you! 🙂 Not a chubster, and no history of breaking spokes- in fact before the RR the last one I can remember was in 1998 or 99 on a fully loaded tourer!

Maybe I just need to chalk it up to one of those things. The replacement wheel wasn’t all that new so I suppose it’s possible it had a weak one waiting to go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Breaking front spokes on Roadrat’ is closed to new replies.