Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Breaking Bad (late to the party)
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

My wife and I have only just discovered this series. We’re on series 4 now and I’d go as far to say its one of the best Television series I have ever seen. Just unbelievable and who thought Malcolm’s dad would be just that brilliant?!

Sublime, no doubt most folk on here have seen it whilst I’ve been utterly oblivious but if you haven’t seen it, box-set of first three seasons for 15 quid from HMV at the minute.

Klunk
    Free Member

class

can’t wait 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Breaking Bad is incredible. I watched the pilot episode and thought, **** me this is great! So original and slick.

Can’t wait for the last part 🙂

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I love it! Can be a bit slow at times though, thats put the girlfriend off it. I’m just at the start of seres 3 now 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Watched the first series and it didn’t get me at all. Will persevere though. Watched the first episode of Ray Donovan which was pretty good.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Love BB
    On season 5 now

BoardinBob

The best US tv show since The Wire. Only slight criticism is the pointlessness of Walt Junior and Skylar is quite annoying. However the rest of the cast are superb and the scripting and acting is second to none. Genuinely gutted this is the last season, and I can’t see it ending well (as in a happy ending). The first half of this season had so many jaw dropping moments and the very last scene was a proper WTF, up out my chair, gasping in disbelief moment.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

For me, it’s the fact it doesn’t patronise the audience. It doesn’t need to dwell on the many many themes running through the series. It just touches on them briefly at various points. It’s the only television series that stimulates conversation between my wife and I after watching an episode.

It’s as good as it gets.

scud
    Free Member

Just about to start Series 5, but think it has been the best series for a long time.

Funny how, US films seem to be getting more and more dumb, relying on explosions and robots to excite people with often terrible scripts, yet HBO and other TV producers seem to be going from strength to strength.

If anyone wants to watch something else brilliant and doesn’t mind subtitles, try and seek out Braquo series 1 and 2 boxsets, it was shown on FX channel here, but is really good.

brassneck

It’s third behind The Wire and Deadwood for me, but it is still very very good.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Brilliant telly. Filled the Wire-shaped void in my life just perfectly.

Dark, tragic, hilarious, poignant, utterly implausible but somehow all totally logical. Genius stuff (if you’re willing to suspend your disbelief at times and just roll with it)

Waiting for the second half of Season 5…

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, it’s good!

This makes no sense:

Only slight criticism is the pointlessness of Walt Junior and Skylar is quite annoying

Without his family Walt would have had no motivation to start cooking meth. If you’d rather Breaking Bad be solely about a chemistry teacher battling cancer then I understand your point…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Without his family Walt would have had no motivation to start cooking meth. If you’d rather Breaking Bad be solely about a chemistry teacher battling cancer then I understand your point…

Yeah, his family is the catalyst for the entire series. They are hugely important to the narrative.

prawny

Started and finished watching the whole thing (so far) a couple of months ago, proper addictive TV, I was watching 3 episodes a day most days.

As annoying as Skylar and Walt Jr are, the first couple of series when she didn’t know about his meth cooking provided more tension to me as a husband than the threat of arrest or being murdered by Tuco 😆

Northwind

I quite like it, but I think the hype’s spoiled it a bit, I keep waiting for it to be amazing and it’s mostly just good… Couple of proper gut punches though.

FuzzyWuzzy

I got bored of it after season 3

BoardinBob

This sums it up perfectly about Walt Junior from 4:20:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6701398/breaking-bad-rpg

Murray

Love BB – I started watching series 1 this week and am on episode 4 already.

Chemistry is cool!

boltonjon

Halfway through Season 2 and loving it

The best US drama i’ve seen since the early series of 24

Walt’s a proper dude 🙂

BoardinBob

Just wait until you get to Season 5. It’s bonkers by that point.

wrecker
    Free Member

Utterly brilliant. So many great characters; Walt, Jessie, Hank, Saul and all of the assorted lowlives. Like all good series, it draws you right in.
    Watching Walts transformation has been thrilling.
    Skylar has been essential to the plot, particularly in season 5.
    There is talk of a Saul spinoff, which I would love to see.
    It’s joint second with the wire for me, just behind band of brothers.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Saul Goodman – totally OTT but tremendous character.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s a work of Art. Along with The Wire and The Sopranos. Love a good bit of telly and bb is about as good as it gets imho.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Never seen any of it. Heard good things about it, but then Im meh about most TV series.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Utterly Utterly brilliant ….
    AND if you are a Mythbusters fan – they are doing a BB special (out on Aug 12 in USA .. not sure when it hits the UK?)

(No … they’re not cooking blue meth 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

Oh man i have to watch that mythbusters. Kari Byron in a toxic waste suit? Rubs thighs.

Mr_C
    Free Member

who thought Malcolm’s dad would be just that brilliant?!

As someone said somewhere else – what if we get to the end of series five and Walt goes into witness protection, and that is the start of Malcolm in the Middle?

therag
    Free Member

1-5 box set arrived in post today, could be a late one tonight.

samuri
    Free Member

There must be something wrong with me. I really don’t get most of American telly. I liked the sopranos but hated Lost. 24 didn’t engage me that much. I liked the first few episodes of dexter but got bored with it quickly.

Not seen the wire or breaking bad, I suppose I should give them a go. I assume they’re available on Netflix or Lovefilm.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

BB is good but it can be slow and some of the episodes are pointless (The Fly anyone?) A lot of these US series take a good idea and story and stretch the material out too thinly. Dexter may be an exception to this but it lost any grip on reality some time ago.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

There must be something wrong with me. I really don’t get most of American telly. I liked the sopranos but hated Lost. 24 didn’t engage me that much. I liked the first few episodes of dexter but got bored with it quickly.

Not seen the wire or breaking bad, I suppose I should give them a go. I assume they’re available on Netflix or Lovefilm.

I agree with you Samuri. I hated 24, detested Lost, Dexter bored me, in fact most television no matter which side of the Atlantic it comes from, bores me. But BB shocked me. After the first 3 episodes I was hooked completely. I’d at least give it a whirl.

Northwind

If x = <thread about american TV> then <talk about Oz>

OK, so it lost its way in the middle but at its best, it is phenomenal.

Cougar

I’m about four episodes off current. Properly gripped, just trying to finish up before the new ones air.

To those a bit behind; it only gets better. Just when you think the wheels have properly come off, that’s when it all goes wrong.

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s good, but it’s not Dexter good.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m back on netflix, BB episode 1 coming up.

busydog
    Free Member

Deadwood for me

Mrs busydog and both really liked that.
    Most amazing is I live in Albuquerque but haven’t watched Breaking Bad 😆
    Going to have to start watching.
    Did you guys get the show The Americans over there–story about Russian spys in the US during the 70’s & 80’s? We really liked that as well.

kimbers

debaser

Love that theory Kimbers 😀

Just watched ‘Blood Money’… well worth the wait.

BoardinBob

Absolutely amazing final episodes so far. The finale of this weeks is torture! Thankfully I’m off next Monday so I’ll be watching as soon as its on Netflix. Genuinely gutted that there’s only 3 episodes left

PrinceJohn

Ok i want to watch this – however the missus always poo-poos anything drug related (watched the excellant End of Watch at the weekend & she wasn’t keen as the synopsis mentioned drugs…. however she actually quite liked it)

So how can I persuade this is worth her time?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Breaking Bad (late to the party)’ is closed to new replies.