• This topic has 48 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Breakfast on the go….
  • DT78
    Free Member

3 days a week I have to be out of the house with kids by 7-7.30 and basically have no time for breakfast (normally I have an omelette as can’t have cereal or milk).

Find I’m hungry all day and eating all sorts of rubbish. Any ideas for something I can eat I the car? Been trying apples and bananas but find them hard to stomach early.

Those breakfast bar things aren’t much better than having a twix are they?

weeksy

Mcmuffins.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bacon sandwich, easily portable and no waste…

jkomo

Coffee in an insulated mug, some nuts, wait till lunch?
    Scotch egg?
    Kale smoothie?
    Can you eat properly at work before you start- microwave scrambled eggs in a mug?
    Annoying use of question marks I know.

alexpalacefan

Get up earlier.

APF

DT78
    Free Member

Was waiting for the smart arse comment. I get up around 5.30 and with a 8week old often haven’t had more than 5 hours sleep….

Hard to eat at work due to being straight into meetings etc…would love a bacon sarnie but it would take the same length of time as an omelette. Basically I can’t eat In the house as the kids will see and then want their breakfast and I’ll never get them to nursery.

Do the coffee in a mug, currently trialing oatcakes…messy whilst driving

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sausage and Egg McMuffin meal with a coffee from.. what’s that place called ?

zilog6128

Nutrininja shake. Generally make it then ride to work & have it there as I don’t usually feel like having much first thing. Gets my 5-a-day out of the way early. 😀

bearnecessities

Boiled eggs. Make them on a Sunday night, peel each morning.

Cougar

I get up around 5.30 and with a 8week old often haven’t had more than 5 hours sleep….

Go to bed earlier.

redthunder
    Free Member

Porridge

50%oats 50% milk or water (mad)
    2 mins in the microwave, depends on wattage. For you to fine tune.

Job done.

Ps if you cant manage 2 mins prep in the morning.
    Prep the night before and ping in the morning.

finephilly
    Free Member

McDonald’s porridge whilst driving is a challenge I have yet to master.

DT78
    Free Member

Go to bed earlier

if only such things were that easy. You could make a lot of money if you have the secret to stopping newborns waking you up all night….anyway I go to bed around 10….by the time bath times and I’ve eaten it’s generally 9 which gives around 30mins to clear up the bomb site.

Boiled eggs aren’t a bad shout I’ll look into the nutibullet

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have shower before bed, not in the morning, should free up 10 to 15 minutes for breakfast.

theotherjonv

if you like omelette type stuff, mini crustless quiches. Mix up some eggs and whatever else you fancy – mushrooms, spinach, ham, chorizo, cheese all options here – and then pour out into cup cake cases. You can use paper ones but we have some reusable silicone ones like these

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-silicone-normal-mini-cupcake-aubergine-green?ver=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwhYLLBRDIjoCu0te4niASJAC0V4QPd_IMP1rWre8cFsW8hOVCJjTwtESMhzMfXYbJOwnnvhoCb3Lw_wcB&utm_campaign=MerchantFeed&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_source=GoogleShopping#fo_c=1344&fo_k=c2768223c24ef664f64dcee1fec6ea5d&fo_s=gplauk&land=shopping

Microwave for however long (depends on your oven) and then cool and in the fridge for food that you can take with you and eat cold the next morning.

badllama
    Free Member

If I’m out of anything for breakfast (or running late) I’ll call in at a Sainsburys near work of a co-op on the way and get some oat/flapjack type cookies.
    Grab a pack and eat them as I check emails with morning brew, tend to sort me out.
    Oh and I’ll eat the full bag 😀

badllama
    Free Member

Have shower before bed, not in the morning, should free up 10 to 15 minutes for breakfast

And carry around that post sex aroma and bed hair all day 😛

Just get up earlier

simon_g

I know there’s milk products in them but can you manage shakes like PhD Diet Whey?

I’m in a similar position at the moment and mon-fri have that as breakfast as I can do it in the time available and it stops me skipping breakfast and eating all sorts of crap in the mornings.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And carry around that post sex aroma and bed hair all day

The OP will have been put off bangin due to a screaming kid, and this is STW, every chance he’s bald. :mrgreen:

P-Jay
    Free Member

You can buy breakfast bars and all that but they’re generally shit, and don’t get me started on that odious **** who sells ‘breakfast in a bottle’ on TV.

Any chance you can fuel up in work? About half my colleagues eat breakfast in the office.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait, you get up at 5.30 and leave at 7 and you haven’t time for breakfast? Seems like you need a time and motion study.

DT78
    Free Member

Son #1 has turned into a mini hitler. Minimum requirement of 3 books before will consider getting dressed, generally I need to chase him round and pin him down to dress him. Plus, if he sees me eat at home he wants breakfast, hence it needs to be in the car

molgrips
    Free Member

He doesn’t get breakfast? Or some kind of breakfast club?

Son #1 has turned into a mini hitler

I think you are focusing on the wrong problem with the breakfast thing…

theotherjonv

Son #1 has turned into a mini hitler.

you need to become a bigger dictator, he’s taking the piss out of you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not saying it’s easy to get kids to do what you want; not saying you should become authoritarian and just shout etc, but that is your biggest issue I reckon and needs working on.

iainc

Eating while driving is just about as daft as using your mobile. Just get up 10 minutes earlier.

oldnpastit

Malt loaf? Can you still get packets of it pre-buttered?

porlus
    Free Member

Make this night before.

Plastic pot with lid. Layer in this order. Frozen fruits, granola and fruit yoghurt (alpro almond is nice too). Back in the fridge. When you come to eat it the next day the berries should be defrosted and the yoghurt softened the granola nicely.

jekkyl

sleep somewhere else and leave your wife to it.

upshift
    Free Member

You can buy pre-cooked bacon in most supermarkets, either in the chiller or deli counter. Whack some in a wrap before you go and job done. Even better if you’ve got some boiled eggs ready beforehand.

Agree with others though – if you’re maxed out already look at ways to claw time back. Being stressed and not eating properly isn’t going to do you any good. Hope you find a way!

rugbydick

Eating while driving is just about as daft as using your mobile.

This.

Get up earlier.

mrsheen
    Free Member
    wallop

Nuzest pea protein shake with almond milk.

But really – boiled eggs ftw.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Smoothie – my favourite is frozen banana, skimmed milk, handful of granola, dessert spoon of peanut butter. Blitz it put it in an insulated mug. Job done.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If you have to be out by 7-7.30 go out at 7.30 and you have 30 minutes to do some breakfast.

v8ninety

Son #1 has turned into a mini hitler. Minimum requirement of 3 books before will consider getting dressed, generally I need to chase him round and pin him down to dress him. Plus, if he sees me eat at home he wants breakfast, hence it needs to be in the car

I’m very sympathetic as the dad of a five and six year old, but you need to review this paragraph and think about who is the boss. You’re setting yourself up for two decades (at least) of pain if you let your kids run you like that.

Oh, and don’t get a dog…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Surely you could eat something in the kitchen while the führer is in another room. Although I’m not sure why the kids aren’t allowed to eat.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not as nice as fryed or grilled but bacon in the microwave is quick and clean. Bacon on a plate, kitchen towel on top 1.5-2 min and it is sorted. You can parallel this take with other and throw it in a roll when done.

DT78
    Free Member

They have breakfast at nursery 8 till 8.30, hence why I need them out the door sharpish.

From what I have seen and read he isn’t behaving much different to other toddlers just pushing the boundaries and we are disciplining him, but Monday to weds I’m on a clock and can’t spend long on ‘quiet time’ etc… Hence if he is really bad and refusing still after 20mins he gets pinned down under my leg whilst I do the nappy change.

In other aspects he is far better behaved than our friends kids of similar age. It is going to nursery that seems to be the main issue. He also refuses to walk from the car so I’m left with the choice of waiting him out while he lies face down screaming in a busy carpark and miss his breakfast or pick him up, which is what he wants. I’m sure this is all just a phase.

Anyway this was about me trying to get some food in at some point.

Re eating and driving, it is a 5 mile 20min journey with many many redlights. On my bike commuting days it is quicker cycling. Plenty of stationary moments to bite into something

fifeandy
    Free Member

Make a sandwich night before, wrap in foil and put in fridge. Not the perfect breakfast, but will do the job.

Kellogs breakfast bakes maybe? I use them on the bike. Minimal protein content, but a few vitamins added at least.

Protein flapjacks? Possible to find ones that are mostly slow burn carbs from the oats and 20g of whey protein. Maybe a bit expensive, but better than no brekkie, and in my experience do a pretty good job of keeping you satisfied for a good 2hrs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Breakfast on the go….’ is closed to new replies.