Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)
  • Bread…what to replace it with/alternatives
  • vondally
    Free Member

A work colleague is trying to reduce their calories and is looking to drop the bread from their diet but with you what?
    So all the folk who have reduced bread r gluten in their diets what have you done differently.

Stoner
    Free Member

crackerbread/ryvita.

Cougar

Toast.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slowoldgit
    Free Member

Rice cakes, oatcakes, ryvita, real rye bread which is a bit dense though, probably laden with calories along with the goodness, and Staffs oatcakes when I can get then.

soobalias
    Free Member

er, i just stopped eating bread. not sure i understand the question.

no sandwiches, no bread rolls, no bagels, no cake, no donuts…

so my saturday bacon and egg sarnie = bacon and scrambled egg
    my banana and peanut butter sarnie = banana and peanut butter
    last nights tuna mayo…. bowl of tuna, mayo, olives, beetroot and some pickle.

sazter

I changed the way I think about meals, had to adjust the mindset a bit to think of lunch as not a sandwich, I make big salads with mackerel etc, plenty of protein to make you full, or soups with lots of meat too. I feel pretty rubbish and ‘gurgly’ if I have bread etc now, I do sometimes have a bit, go out for pizza or have a biscuit or ten, but I do feel rubbish after, I see it like a hangover of sorts, not great all the time but sometimes it has to happen! But mainly lots of protein, raw almonds on my desk for snacks too.

molgrips
    Free Member

The point about not having bread to reduce carbs is to reduce carbs – so replacing it with something else defeats the object!

Unless you mean what else to have for lunch instead of sandwiches? Well for me it’s salads or something like scrambled eggs if I’m at home, or a hearty soup. If out – then I try and find whatever’s as low GI as possible. Brown bread sandwiches are best or something with a tortilla. Or if you have access to some soup or a palatable salad from a takeaway, that.

GrahamS

A work colleague is trying to reduce their calories and is looking to drop the bread

While bread does contain carbs/calories, unless they eat a LOT of it then I’d suggest the problem lies elsewhere.

vondally
    Free Member

It is a stepped approach, literally what can they have to reduce their intake but gradually…..so they replaced lots of food with diet bars and shakes….all fructose and sucrose sugars…..trying to give healthy alternatives like rice cakes and so on.

pigyn
    Free Member

The only way I can think of eating bannana and peanut butter without bread is to smear the peanut butter all over the outside of the bananna. 😯

scotroutes

I can tell that’s exciting you.

Rubber_Buccaneer

pigyn, you need the help of a beautiful assistant. One with a built in banana holder….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

try a balanced diet, cutting out 1 food sounds like a fad approach rather than understanding what they eat vs what they expand

binners

He needs to replace the bread with pastry. Obviously!

vondally
    Free Member

Agreed mike trying to stop the fad and balance bug struggled to suggest bread alts

mikewsmith
    Free Member

less of some stuff and more veg?

GrahamS

Toast sandwich – cheap and good for you apparently 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Replace with porridge.

In the far east noddles and rice.

😀

soobalias
    Free Member

pigyn – Member
    The only way I can think of eating bannana and peanut butter without bread is to smear the peanut butter all over the outside of the bananna.

Jesus F Christobel – you can peel the banana!
    grab banana, begin the peel, open the peanut butter, using teaspoon apply some peanut butter to the open banana, nom, spoon, PB, nana, nom, spoon, PB, nana, nom. geddit.

do not hold me responsible for the increased calories of consuming this much PB

EDIT – i guess you could peel the whole nana, slice down the middle and apply a layer of PB which would stick the nana back together *plans*

lemonysam
    Free Member

Replace with porridge.

That makes for a rubbish tuna melt sandwich.

binners

Rubber_Buccaneer

peel the whole nana, slice down the middle and apply a layer of PB

You have just reminded me of something I saw on TV. It was a device that you stuck up an unpeeled banana and it injected a filling of your choice. You could then peel and eat the banana as usual but with filling. (downside was the hole in the bottom of the banana oozing filling down the presenters arm as they ate the banana)

blader1611
    Free Member

Unless for a medical reason i can never understand why people always seem to cut bread from there diet. Any dietician worth there salt (not too much salt though) will tell you that there aren’t many foods around with that many nutrients for less than 100 calories, always in moderation though.

scotroutes

There’s a lot more to dieting than counting calories. I’m off bread due to the carb content

mikewsmith
    Free Member

want to elaborate scotroutes? There is a lot more to an explanation that a statement

vondally
    Free Member

Please elobrate on the carb count

molgrips
    Free Member

Any dietician worth there salt (not too much salt though) will tell you that there aren’t many foods around with that many nutrients for less than 100 calories

Really?

Meat
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Peas
    Eggs

I reckon all have lots of ‘nutrients’ in. Depends which ones you are after of course. But if you want nutrients in general then filling up on veg with a bit of meat is FAR more nutritious than filling up on bread, and low GI with it.

andyl
    Free Member

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just substitute vegetables for bread. Your calorie/carb intake will have to drop. e.g:

Baguette, French, Tesco
    Calories in 100g of baguette:

Calories 240.0kcal
    Carbohydrate 49.5g
    Protein 7.8g
    Fat 1.2g
    Fibre 3.4g

Broccoli, Boiled, Average
    Calories in 100g of broccoli

Calories 24.0kcal
    Carbohydrate 1.1g
    Protein 3.1g
    Fat 0.8g
    Fibre 2.3g

So to eat the same amount of calories in a baguette, you are going to have to eat a kilogram of brocolli. And still have only eaten a fifth of the carbs.

ernie67

I find cutting bread out of my diet makes me feel far less bloated

ransos
    Free Member

As a nation, we eat less bread than many other countries, yet on average they are slimmer than us.

I suggest bread isn’t the problem.

brassneck

Just sub in good wholemeal / wholegrain bread, ideally homemade and eat a bit less of it. Still have a slice with my boiled eggs, not a problem. Stick to Vogel if there’s none made and in a hurry.

ryvita is bloody dangerous, I took out a tooth with a seed from one. I’m assuming it wasn’t in the best of health to start with 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Just sub in good wholemeal / wholegrain bread, ideally homemade and eat a bit less of it.

I find good quality bread fills me up far quicker than mass-produced crap, so eating less of it is never a problem.

cheers_drive

ransos – Member
    As a nation, we eat less bread than many other countries, yet on average they are slimmer than us.

I suggest bread isn’t the problem.
    Perhaps the crap that is put into the bread in the country is the problem. The bread we have doesn’t deserve to be called bread compared to that in Denmark.

BigJohn

There are several good reasons for excluding cereal products (bread, pasta, rice, biscuits etc.) from what you eat. It’s awkward to feel satisfied by a meal without these things though. So chickpea flour and quinoa are useful to include in your died. Also a few other legumes.

If you think that’s going to be boring, think of what’s made with them: falafel, bhajis, pakora, poppadoms.

ransos
    Free Member

Perhaps the crap that is put into the bread in the country is the problem. The bread we have doesn’t deserve to be called bread compared to that in Denmark.

Well yeah, I was alluding to that. Mass-produced bread is loaded with extra fat and additives, to reduce the fermentation time.

zilog6128

Any dietician worth there salt (not too much salt though) will tell you that there aren’t many foods around with that many nutrients for less than 100 calories

Is this a troll? Except for white rice & pasta I’d struggle to think of any food less nutritionally dense than bread.

The only point of grains is as a cheap/plentiful food to feed a (too?) large population. As “rich” westerners arguably we don’t need them as staple foods although obviously a nice bit of (preferably home-made) bread is a tasty treat!

Certainly if you were looking to lose body fat there is no need to eat grains/bread at all.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

wholemeal seeded bread. more nutrition and takes longer to digest= feel full longer= eat less other crap. also doesn’t have the same gi spike as white bread.

andyl
    Free Member

this thread is making me want another slide of my nice freshly made bread – 50:50 white/wholemeal 1tbsn each of poppy, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds. Yum.

Actually this one is more like 55:45 in favour of wholemeal as I slipped.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘Bread…what to replace it with/alternatives’ is closed to new replies.