Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bread toaster – cheap & good?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

My bread toaster is slowly dying on me so I need a new one. Can you recommend one please?

The problem with mine is that I have to try many times just push down the bread slots (whatever you called it) to get the slots stay engage to toast. The problem has just started two months ago … arrghh …

My 2 slides toaster is a DeLonghi plastic cheapo that cost me less than a tenner (£8.99) which I bought about 14 years ago. I know many of you have a super doper bread toaster which I like but not for me at moment as my budget is low.

My budget is £30. It can either be 2 slides or 4 slides bread toaster.

Most importantly it must be reliable and last me another 20 years … Stainless steel would be good.

Recommend me one please. I need toasts for my day … 😕

spud-face

Russell Hobbs is your man. After my 1st one died (10ish years) I was horrified to find that most toasters aren’t designed with manly British bread proportions in mind! Evidently those fey continentals favour a smaller slice (prob’ly measured in bloody metric *spits on floor*). After making myself a cardboard copy of a real piece of bread I went touring the shops. Russell is the only one that consistently cares about us (though evidently his really cheap models are designed to flood the euromarket). In summary, if you don’t want to rotate your slice part way through, vote Hobbs. My new one’s (10-15 quid) been kicking along happily for 3or4 years now. Doesn’t do bagels/muffins/croissants/astrophysics, but then neither do I.
    😀

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Have you tried de-crumbing your current toaster? A good shake and a going over with the hoover might keep it alive for another 14 years 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

spud-face – Member

Russell Hobbs is your man. After my 1st one died (10ish years) I was horrified to find that most toasters aren’t designed with manly British bread proportions in mind!

Yes. I noticed that when I looked at the slots and Russell Hobbs is the only one that have longer slots.

Doesn’t do bagels/muffins/croissants/astrophysics, but then neither do I.

I do bagels but I half it first. Muffins on toast? Never done that. Yes, I heat croissants on the toaster. No astrophysics here too.

huckleberryfatt – Member

Have you tried de-crumbing your current toaster? A good shake and a going over with the hoover might keep it alive for another 14 years

Yes, done it many times recently so it is spotless.

mav12
    Free Member

mines been like that for ages i just jam a bit of cardboard in the slot abovethe slider pushy down thing it stays down after a few seconds then pull the card out

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve had a breville one for about 7 years now that cost me about £20 and has thrived in several shared houses where people subsisted largely on toast. I’d happily buy another one.

chewkw
    Free Member

hmmm … not many people on this forum use toasters I guess …

So far only Russell Hobbs and Breville being mentioned so will check it later on for pre-Xmas deal as I don’t want to eat cold bread during Xmas.

😛

joshvegas
    Free Member

Of course they don’t use a toaster….

chewkw
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member

Of course they don’t use a toaster….

Ya, I like the look of that machine but it would even better if it comes with turbo wok burner … that will complete me.

😆

chestrockwell

Another vote for Russell Hobbs. Had mine for a good 10 years and it’s still going strong. From memory it didn’t cost much, maybe that and a matching kettle (which is still working) for £30. It’s chrome.

chewkw
    Free Member

chestrockwell – Member

Another vote for Russell Hobbs. Had mine for a good 10 years and it’s still going strong. From memory it didn’t cost much, maybe that and a matching kettle (which is still working) for £30. It’s chrome.

I avoid any kettle that contains plastic in them as I have no confident in plastic and heat.

Russell Hobbs – got two votes at the moment … 😀

spud-face

There you go, now stick some bread in it (even does bagels! La-De-Dah!!)

This is mine, and the one i can vouch for. Sure i paid less for it though…

chestrockwell

That looks like a newer version of mine.

chewkw
    Free Member

Spud-face,

OOooo! Both Russel Hobbs look fine.

I like the simplicity.

I will check out JL later to see if they do price match … :mrgreen:

slowoldman

Of course you’ll need to install a stove too.

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Of course you’ll need to install a stove too.

It’s not a matter of installing a stove but it’s the time it takes to toast quickly … 😆

Powerful blowtorch will work but health and safety might not permit me to do so … 😆

servo
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

Update! Update!

So I went into my corner shop Debenhams for a quick search and found this and bought it. Just right on my maximum budget of £30. It is 4 slides toaster so I hope it will last me twice as long say 20 years. Warranty is 3 years says on the box. 😆

Not sure why I want a 4 slides toaster but then who knows if I can get some chicks to share breakfast with me … long term.

Russell Hobbs stainless steel 21460 four slice toaster for £30. (50% off £60).

Rusell Hobbs 21460

One down side to this model: Russell Hobbs if you hear this … the cable is so short why don’t you cut the cable shorter eh? Make the total length of the cable to 3 inches to make it impractical. The designer of this toaster needs to get a good smacking … 😡

I have to reorganise my kitchen top space just to accommodate this toaster due to short cable lead. 😡

servo – Member

Good one as I love watching Red Dwarf. :mrgreen:

edit: Just tried it and it works fine … oh ya another down side is the slot length that is short, which means longer bread will need to be retoasted upside down. arrghhh … who set this industrial standard anyway? So are they trying to force some sort of EU standard on toasters as well?

cliffyc
    Free Member

Mum has an AGA , AGA top plate toast is brilliant!!. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bread toaster – cheap & good?’ is closed to new replies.