Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Bread makers and slow cookers
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Growing up I’ve seen / use cast iron in Agas as well as slow cookers. Results-wise I think Dutch ovens are a little better but the ease of using a slow cooker is fantastic. Coming home to cooked food and a great smell is awesome. Pressure cookers are somewhere between the two wrt results.

All 3 have their place and all 3 are worth owning.

Breadmakers are fine for a month or two, gather dust for a year or 2 and are then sold.

Do think about getting an Instantpot. The best of all worlds (except bread).

sbob
    Free Member

My Mum produces excellent bread from her machine, including crust! She has had a lot of practice though and it has taken plenty of experimentation to achieve the best results.
    It’s also cheaper to just buy bread.
    I don’t bother with one.
    Slow cooker on the other hand I use all the time. Chuck ingredients in, return to delicious meal. What’s not to like?

submarined
    Free Member

If it’s cheaper to buy bread than make your own you’re doing it wrong.
    Good Organic flour is about a quid a kilo of you but it in bulk. Yeast is about 50p for loads. Pinch of salt, wadge of butter/oil if you want it super soft, and some water.
    Even when you add in the cost of electricity with our ancient oven, that’s easily less than 70p a loaf.

Even nasty Chorleywood loaves cut with all sorts of crap cost more, let alone stuff that’s not horrible.

They are many accusations you can level at home made bread that are true – yes it can be a faff until you find a rhythm that works for you and your equipment, yes cleanup can be messy if your kneading it by hand, yes results can be unpredictable depending on the yeast, temperature, etc, but cost? Nah, not having that one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

Love our slow cooker. Bit of prep the night before, throw all in the slow cooker whilst I’m having breakfast, come home to lovely smelling and tasting food. Lovely.

sbob
    Free Member

Even nasty Chorleywood loaves cut with all sorts of crap cost more, let alone stuff that’s not horrible.

Not if you buy them in bulk. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Those of you who aren’t getting nice bread out of the Panasonic bread makers, are you using strong flour and decent yeast? Without any effort we seem to get good loaves out of it.

I have made bread for decades and it gives shit loaves

its a fast rise prcess so no time for flavours, the loaf is not big enough, the crust is not correct etc
    yes I can make bread just better bread without it

rather buy this bread than bake with a bread maker
    http://www.thepolishbakery.co.uk/

Perhaps if you like the chorleywood process they make good loafs but i just dont rate them

submarined
    Free Member

Breadmakers don’t use the Chorleywood process. Not unless you add a crapload of enzymes and chemicals, anyways.

Junkyard
    Free Member

of course not but they both use a process designed to make bread quickly, rather than taste of something, hence the comparison

trail_rat
    Free Member

The stuff my parents bread maker makes is bland and tasteless. Nice texture but using same ingredients with a cool proof , knock back and second proof produces a much tastier loaf.

Buuuut I’ve yet to buy anything out a shop(that isn’t a bakery) that holds a candle to either method. Incremental gains and all that.

My first non shop bought sourdough was a revelation.

Buy a good bread knife get good at waiting. The wait is worth it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I think I am gonna play with the GF’s bread maker but bin the idea of a slow cooker for now – for guy living alone it seems not worth it.

But ice cream makers…

DezB
    Free Member

ebygomm –
    Why Anything Slow Cookers Can Do, Others Can Do Better

How can I take an article seriously that goes on about Dutch Ovens?

(Plus whoever wrote it, doesn’t actually know how to use a slow cooker!)

bazzer
    Free Member

I love both my slow cooker and my Panasonic bread maker.

On the granary setting its takes 5hrs and makes great bread.

ransos
    Free Member

its a fast rise prcess so no time for flavours, the loaf is not big enough, the crust is not correct etc
    yes I can make bread just better bread without it

It takes 5 hours and makes 800g loaves.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Bread makers and slow cookers’ is closed to new replies.