• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by dti.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bread makers
  • bruk

Looking at replacing our old (10 yr plus) basic Kenwood machine.

I know some people hate the things but it is nice to set it to have fresh bread in the morning and means we never run out too.

Any point in going upmarket or just stick with a basic one and any recommendations?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Panasonic here, 15 years old, still churns them out…

Jason
    Free Member

We bought a Panasonic one about 18 months ago (sorry I can’t remember the exact model) and have been very pleased with it. On average it gets used at least once a day, either for bread or dough, and has been pretty much faultless.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Can I ask, what’s wrong with your old one?

Where I’m going with this is, if you’re replacing it, can I have it? (-:

piemonster

I use my hands and a bit of graft and patience.

No kids help

convert

Panasonic – very pleased with it. If buying again I’d have spent the extra on the dried fruit dispenser model. You can lob them in by hand at the right time but a bit tricky if that’s in the middle of the night.

The interface is easy to use but a little frustrating at times. Why does it need to rest for 15mins when it starts rather than getting on with it? Why can’t I select timer delay mode on the dough setting so I walk in from work to pizza dough ready for the oven rather than waiting 45mins?

bruk

It has started overheating and tripped the electrics today. Has a bit of rust in the chamber too. May take it apart but have to admit that kind of reluctant to bin just because it has been around a while.

Will have a look at the Panasonic ones

parkesie
    Free Member

Panasonic here as well not bought bread at all this year 🙂

Northwind

Mine is a Kenwood 350… It’s doing alright, considering it seems to have been designed to be used about 5 times then stuck in the attic. Quite a lot of rust (none of it in contact with the bread so I don’t care but it’s all a bit Rover), fixings have fallen off, the non-stick failed to stick and it makes some orrible noises but it’s still making bread. The options are a wee bit limited tbh, there’s not one that works for my gluten free stuff so it needs to be run on one setting for 2 hours then changed manually- annoying. Would buy again I reckon but I’d shop around first I think.

maccruiskeen

Panasonic much, much better than my Kenwood.

I found with my Kenwood loaves tended to be very heavy, regardless of what the recipe is, also loaves could fail for no apparent reason. It also makes a fricking racket, the motor is noisy, the bleeps to programme it and which signal the ‘add fruit/nuts’ and at the end are piercing. The tin needs to be wrestled in and yanked out too. Amusingly….. all the print on the machine wipes off with a soapy cloth too, the instructions cover two models with differing settings and weights of ingredients depending on which model you have – the model number and the icons around the screen and buttons have all vanished.

I got fed up with it and recently got a panasonic instead – difference is night and day. Loaves are dependably light, attractive, no failed loaves yet. In operation you can hardly even hear its switched on, no whining motors and gears. It has wider range of loaf sizes/weights and programmes. The tin/mixing thing is much more robustly made and you just place it in the machine, it doesn’t need to click or engage and lifts straight out too.

Better by miles and miles.

Where I’m going with this is, if you’re replacing it, can I have it? (-:

I expect I’ll be passing your neck of the woods in the next month or so 🙂

dti

panasonic again,
    12+ years 9 loaves a week.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bread makers’ is closed to new replies.