Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Bread maker
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bought a cheap bread maker a few years ago and it gets used occasionally but I have the feeling I NEED a better bread maker to make better bread.

Any bread maker recommendations please

allthepies
    Free Member

Panasonic

/thread.

nealy
    Free Member

Panasonic
    /thread.

This

Also use Allinson Premium Very Strong Bread Flour

mogrim

Moulinex

/thread-reopened

poolman
    Free Member

is the cheapie a Lidl one? I was waiting to get one, they no good?

Pook

Panasonic
    /thread closed

piemonster

Cheap bread maker you say

cranberry
    Free Member

<thread re-opened>

Panasonic

</thread re-closed>

coolhandluke
    Free Member

At particular Panasonic or any one?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Panasonic – depends if you want to add bits/nuts/stuff or not.

tinybits
    Free Member

As above. Panasonic. Whatever has a nut / seed dispenser.

piemonster

Does anybody make bread by hand anymore?

Just curious, can’t just be me.

Blackhound

Got a Panasonic a few months back based on good reviews. MrsB bought me a top of the range one for ~£150 and it is excellent. Not bought a loaf of bread since.

Was meaning to make my own bread but never got round to it, so this has been helpful. Use strong flour though.

spchantler
    Free Member

piemonster we do! my OH has just popped a wholemeal out, light, fluffy and gorgeous

giantjason
    Free Member

I bought a £150 Panasonic one a couple of years ago and it makes great bread. Gets used every weekend and the bread tastes and smells amazing.

Don’t worry Piemonster I have just taken up the sport of hand making bread had a bit of a disaster last loaf forgot the butter 🙁 Do you use the method of have a roasting tin of water in the bottom of the oven when baking?

Jason
    Free Member

Panasonic here too. Used every day, and makes excellent bread and dough.

donks
    Free Member

We make bread by hand quite a bit it’s a doddle really. Never used water in the oven though? Nothing nicer than fresh baked bread.

ocrider

Piemonster, harrison and donk + loads!

I regularly make sodabread, its a piece of cake scone
    Free yourself from the machine!

jp-t853

oven

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Current wife wants one and I can get a Kenwood with a big discount. Anyone use one of them ?

rickk

Our Panasonic belonged to my Mum and Dad – given to us when they bought another, I guess it’s about 15 years old and still going strong (the tin is a little bit battle scarred but WTF), if it dies we will be looking for Panasonic again.

spacemonkey

FTR, I too bough the (fully Monty) Panasonic model 3-4 yrs ago and never had one good load out of it. Must’ve tried 20 times. Yet a couple of friends had the same one before us and everything turns out pretty much perfect every time.

Our’s always seemed to undercook in the middle. Probably a duff model but never bothered chasing a return.

piemonster

8)

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Warburtons

Sandwich

Warburtons

Possibly the saltiest white bread on the market, renowned in commercial circles for the stuff.

Northwind

Thrustyjust, my Kenwood’s not brilliant but it’s tenacious- it was falling apart after a year or so but it’s still clinging to life 3 years later, gets used every day or two. TBH it’s built like they expect you to use it twice a year.

If I was buying another one tomorrow I’d be wanting something fully programmable, there’s never a setting that’s just right (then again I like my bread well done)

sunnrider
    Free Member

piemonster – Member
    Does anybody make bread by hand anymore?

Just curious, can’t just be me.
    Stick yer machines where the sun doesn´t shine.I get paid to do this, bread by hand with a good oven is as good as it gets. Just use strong flour and bakers yeast.

paul4stones

Agreed. Or just a rye starter . . .

vorlich
    Free Member

Panasonic here which makes a lighter loaf than my mum and dad’s Kenwood.

Add a dash or three of vinegar to the bread mix for better results.

saleem
    Free Member

Just use you bloody hands.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and a food mixer with a good dough hook and plenty of oomph

djglover
    Free Member

This thread should be archived for posterity next to the woodburner/ coffee / Audi ones!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Panasonic all the way I have 2 of em ( both are working brilliantly Long story ) the important thing is use a good strong flower

For us Waitrose flower is the best but we cannot make a XL loaf because it rises too much and hit’s the lid on baking. Lidl flower is also very good and about £1 cheaper to

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Kenwood Chef, a silicone bread ‘tin’ and an oven.

CaptainSlow

+100000000 pauloxo

For the betterest bread, use a kenwood little chef

piemonster

djglover – Member
    This thread should be archived for posterity next to the woodburner/ coffee / Audi ones!

Key difference with the hand made approach is it costs nowt.

Ish, once you start buying peels, baking domes, bannetons, etc, ok get your point.

piemonster

Stick yer machines where the sun doesn´t shine.I get paid to do this, bread by hand with a good oven is as good as it gets. Just use strong flour and bakers yeast.

Sunnrider, as much as Tescoids take a bashing on this forum. They do supply me with free baking yeast.

Where do you work, had a couple of vague opportunities last year. Just didn’t look like it was going to provide enough work. There are big commercial operations, but that’s of no appeal. If I’m going to get up that early I want to take some pride in what I’m doing.

phiiiiil

We have a Panasonic one now after the seal on the tin of the previous one, a Russell Hobbs, failed after about two years of every-other-day use. The Panasonic one is a lot more expensive than the old one (it was a pressie!) and has disadvantages and advantages.

– the bread comes straight off the paddle every time; the other one you always had to dig out the paddle which made a mess.
    – a “standard” loaf takes four hours instead of three, so needs to be started earlier on an evening if you don’t want to be waiting up until 1am if you want to make sandwiches the night before rather than in the morning
    – it’s taller, so doesn’t fit under our kitchen cupboards with the lid open, which the other one did.
    – the bread is probably a bit more consistent, and doesn’t leave unmixed flour in the corner of the tub like the other one did sometimes, but as for the overall quality of the bread I can’t tell the difference.

benslow
    Free Member

Cheapish Kenwood – chuck everything in and let it mix and rise.

Then transfer to bread tin in oven for proper finish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Bread maker’ is closed to new replies.