Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Breacon Gap ride. Clockwise or Anticlockwise?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Hoping to have another attempt at this on Sunday – I’ve tried once before but had to turn back due to sheet ice across the track.

I’ve got a few variations from the various gps tracking websites but there seems to be a difference of opinion on which way to ride it.

Opinions please?

rewski
    Free Member

I did it two weeks ago and did it twice in one day, I did the clockwise reservoir route first, starting at Brecon. The last descent was rocky ST though overgrown brambles More road than I expected, nice and rocky up top though.

creamegg
    Free Member

I would go clockwise. It’s the only way I’ve done it but I can’t see what you’d get out of it going in reverse.

Love the Gap DH section. Very rocky first section- will shake every bone in your body if you hit it fast. The last section of the run is also loads of fun at speed.

Edit:I’d start/finish at Talybont on Usk and have a pint in either White Heart or The Starr at the end

fbk
    Free Member

Nice one – that’s what I figured but thought I’d check. Thanks for the help 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Some alternatives

Rather than follow the dull tramway all the way, climb via some rocky tracks up to the ridge above the Talybont res. When you join the Plateau, keep going to pickup a wide an fast descent down to and through the wood down to the road bridge over Pontiscill res. Follow the road to pick-up the rest of the route up to The Gap.

If feeling cheeky, don’t descend The Gap but climb/push the diagonoal track up FanyBig and follow the lovely clifftop trail to Cairn Pica and then descend steeply to Talybont dam.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Breacon Gap ride. Clockwise or Anticlockwise?’ is closed to new replies.