Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brazing/Welding Mudguard Eyes?
  • DJC75
    Free Member

My steel commuter frame needs powdercoated, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to add mudguard eyes rather than using the existing p-clips. I have the eyes, but was wondering how best to attach them? I know these things are usually brazed, but this would involve taking the frame to a frame builder/fabricator. Does anyone know what kind of cost I should be looking at to braze eyes to the frame and forks?

The other option is to borrow a mate’s welder and have a shot myself. It probably won’t be pretty as I haven’t welded before, but I guess I can tidy up the welds with a file. Would a TIG or a MIG welder be best for this? Is there any danger of damaging the weld between drop-out and stays with cack-handed welding?

bencooper
    Free Member

Is there any danger of damaging the weld between drop-out and stays with cack-handed welding?

Yes 😉

I charge £7.50 per braze-on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Less a danger of damageing the weld, more of burning a hole straight through the very thin tube.

Ben, do you reckon eyes could be put on the seatstay above the disk mount? I’m thinking of doing it to fit a 26″ rack to my 29er without the faff of disk compatible racks? Or would it damage the tube when loaded (and if not, why has no one lese though of it)?

bencooper
    Free Member

It could be done – some frames do have them there. The disc brake puts a lot more force through the stay than a rack does. It’ll also shift the rack forwards of course.

DJC75
    Free Member

Might be one for you then Ben. It’s the Surly Steamroller that you saved from death by seized BB a few months back.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sure, pop it in and I’ll braze some on.

DJC75
    Free Member

Cheers, when I’m ready to get it powdercoated I’ll bring it round.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brazing/Welding Mudguard Eyes?’ is closed to new replies.