Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Braun vs. Philips (electric shaver wars)
  • Kahurangi

So my old braun is knackered and good riddance. The foils were flimsy, the cutters were blunt after 6 months, the pivoting head was a useless gimmick that made the drivetrain lack power and efficiency. It struggled with longer hairs lying close to the skin.

Are the pilips style ones any better though? What's worth getting or lookign for in a model? Is the pivoting stuff just another gimmick too?

… and no, I'm not going back to wet shaves either. :-p

jahwomble
    Free Member

I was hoping this was going to be a thread about turning razors into finely honed killing machines and making them fight to the death in a biscuit tin.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive a philips arcitec rq1095 its the best shaver ive used by far

Kahurangi

jah – that may just happen if I buy a Philips and it turns out to be as disappointing as the Braun one was!!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I went from Braun to Remington a while back – got some titanium thingummy and it's generally ace.

There is however, no electric razor available anywhere that can do neck shaving properly.

As I don't need to be clean shaven often, I tend to use an i-trim stubble trimmer most of the time now.

Kahurangi

There is however, no electric razor available anywhere that can do neck shaving properly.

Boooo!

Maybe a cheap non-pivoting braun style one with the intermidiate long-hair trimmer is best then? Something with tough blades.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Had one of those phillips nivea do hickys and it was awful. Gutted i bought it ( even though it was in the sale) gone back to normal wet shaving and no redness of the neck.

firestarter
    Free Member

The one I have does neck too takes a week to get skin used to it but its only shaver I've used that does my neck

fbk
    Free Member

I always thought Braun/Remington were great & it was normal to take 20 minutes to shave (I've got tough hair 😉 ). I was sceptical about the philips rotor type shavers but thought I'd try one 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I got the Excel type – can't remember the model no.

They don't shave quite as close as the parallel types but much quicker & much easier on the skin, especially round my neck (probably because it's much quicker).

uponthedowns
    Free Member

After years of using Braun shavers I now have a Phillips and its much better than my previous two Brauns. Makes less noise too.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

+1 for Remington. Just replaced a 15 year old one with a 3 foil 7790. OK, it's not a wet shave, but still very impressed. As always replacement foils/cutters extortionate.

grantway
    Free Member

I switched from a razer to the Phillips Nivea shaver
    brilliant shaver and I dont get a shaving rash like
    the Braun had given me.Also the phillips is very good at
    shaving around the neck.
    Boots was doing these half price so check online

brakes
    Free Member

I'm a massive Braun fan – had all sorts for the past 15 years, but in the last 8 I've only had two pricier Brauns (£70-80).
    I agree though, don't go for any gimmicks – find one which has 1-way pivoting head (fore-aft), with two foils and an integral cutter.
    Tried a Philips razor and it cut me to ribbons and snagged on my hairs (think iron filings).
    Real shame you can't try them out and you can't return them either!

Kahurangi

I agree though, don't go for any gimmicks – find one which has 1-way pivoting head (fore-aft), with two foils and an integral cutter.

That's what I've had, and even when nearly new it was noticeably weaker, noiser and slower when compared to my brother's more basic non-pivoting model.

I can't bring myself to spend another £80 on somethign that I can't really try out though!

the Philips ones do seem to have an edge on the nech shaving though, which is where my Braun really suffers.

cheers for the replies!

stumpy01

Used a Braun years ago and it was pretty good.

Spent a bloody fortune a while back on a Philishave something or other and it was absolute cak.
    Even the areas it did shave didn't feel smooth, and there were plenty of areas that it wouldn't even touch.

Wet shave only now.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just bought a Braun Series 3 from tesco half price impressed already from it, but have come from pretty much the cheapest of the philips range.

ourmaninthenorth

Philips for me. Not v hairy on the face (unlike the legs – odd), so I suspect any electric would be fine.

So much better for my skin that wet shaving.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Braun vs. Philips (electric shaver wars)’ is closed to new replies.