Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Brass Monkeys Round 3 Roll Call
  • c_klein87

So looks like sunday should be another good day for a Brass Monkey’s race. If I remember correctly the last round is at the same venue as round 2 last year? Anybody know whether they will be seeding the top 10 in each cat again?

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com/

missnotax
    Free Member

Yep, i’ll be there on Sunday – it’s going to be a chilly one!

Currently 4th in my category so i’m planning on giving it my all…!

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I’m making my racing debut at this race. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

I’m in the 18-39 2 hour cat.

mattjg
    Free Member

Entered, hoping to be there. 2 hour vets.

I’m making my racing debut at this race. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

I’ve done 1 so I’m an expert:
    * go as quick as you can out the gate to minimise the choke once the pack enters the woods
    * bottle & bumbag/shirt pockets not Camelbak
    * don’t be shy about asking to pass if you are held up
    * keep an ear out for fast folks coming up behind you
    * enjoy the race-within-the-race
    * respect your elders 😉

missnotax
    Free Member

Not sure I have any useful advice – I only do well because I turn up to them all and aren’t too shabby on the climbs and rooty bits!

mattjg
    Free Member

* Nurofen & Werthers

heavy_rat
    Free Member

thanks. i think the race starts at 12pm. whats the best time to get there?

mattjg
    Free Member

The start line started to gather about 15 minutes before the off, but you can slot in any time unless you insist on being at the front. Aside from that, whatever works for you re kit faffage, any warm-up, meeting your mates etc.

For me, 1100ish would do.

mattjg
    Free Member

Oh yeah you have to check-in and get your race number of course. I didn’t have to queue at the old gits window, but there was a line for you nippers.

frogstomp

Yup, should be there to round of the series..

I only made it round half a lap at Tunnel Hill on the autumn classic there so I’m looking forward to this one!

gee
    Free Member

See you all there – fingers crossed for another excellent race. I’ve never managed to win all 3 rounds in one year so will be trying hard this time!

gary

Looking forward to it – evil cold that hit me last weekend seems to be subsiding nicely. Can’t decide whether to drag out the vintage geared bike or stick with the big wheeled singlespeed beast 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

-> “stick with the big wheeled singlespeed beast”

the past is the future, you know it

(you won’t be the only one)

missnotax
    Free Member

Which one is Tunnel Hill…? Is it the venue with the lake? Or have we already had that one…?

I am having a blond moment and can’t remember which one it is 😕

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ll be there, really looking forward to it – last MTB race was Torq 12:12 – I’ve not been riding cross over the winter so endurance may be a little fragile!!!

Good luck…

anjs
    Free Member

Snow now looking like a possibility for the weekend

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Indeed, light snow predicted on Saturday afternoon going into the night.

Where do you have to travel from to get to the race?

missnotax
    Free Member

Well, looking on the positive side, at least the mud should be frozen…

gary

sounds good to me, I have nice new winter boots 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Bloody nice day for a bike race, just right!

theotherjonv

dawning clear and bright here. Was on TH last week and it was very rideable, not much mud then, so by the time Pants and his crew have cleared the course and added drainage where needed, I expect it will be fantastic. Have fun all, wish i was doing it with you!

Which one is Tunnel Hill…? Is it the venue with the lake?

Er, no – unless you mean some of the fireroad puddles which should come with tide tables. It’s the one where the railway goes under the hill, through a tunnel. Are you getting a clue there….

mattjg
    Free Member

Good course with some lovely trails in it, especially the ridge at mile 1 and the trench-warfare bit at mile 3. Nigh on optimal conditions. The run in to the finish was fun too. Mile 6 to 7 seemed very short!

My bloody phone went on lap 1, I have to answer it at the mo, cost me about 20 places and right back the the back of the train I’d worked so hard to pass. And it was Vodafone finally delivering a voicemail from an hour earlier when my friend rang to say “are you here yet Matt”, grrrr thanks Vodafone. NOT.

The chain on my buddy’s brand new never ridden XX1 broke on the fireroad climb just after the 2 hour start. Oh dear.

shortcut

That was jolly good fun!

pjm84
    Free Member

That was short. Rocket Ron blow out after 9km.

missnotax
    Free Member

Er, no – unless you mean some of the fireroad puddles which should come with tide tables. It’s the one where the railway goes under the hill, through a tunnel. Are you getting a clue there….

A fair point 😆

Enjoyed todays race but really struggled with lap 3 – was totally shattered!

pete68
    Free Member

A lot longer than me then pjm84. Ripped the much off after 2 miles.

gary

Great fun – I can’t believe how well drained the course was after the rain of the last couple of days. could really have managed without a puncture 3 miles from the finish though 🙁 Tired now.

Sparky77
    Free Member

Cracking fun this afternoon! Was doing the 2hr and wish that I had done the 4hr as the conditions were so nice!! Hats off to pants and the crew, even riding some of the trails regularly there was a good mix of new and old in the course that made it jolly good fun. Look forwards to AYTE in July!

richP

Another great event. Really enjoyed the course, lots of flowing singletrack and pretty much bone dry for the most part.

Did find it hard work though, not sure the Christmas ‘taper’ helped…

I think the brass monkeys series is one of the best of the year let alone winter.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

It was the first of the series I’ve been able to do and I’m now regretting not doing the other. The course was great, really fun and just challenging enough!!

Mbnut
    Free Member

My first xc race for 12 years and I was no great shakes then… much more of a Enduro type really.

I have to say that the atmoshpere was great, all the riders were polite and friendly from the impressively fast leaders to the very hard working normal riders.

I enjoyed the course, I found it quite unrelenting but it was in super condition.

I started around mid pack but my blooming chain came off some 150 metres in so that put me at the back…. turned my planned steady first lap into a mad dash up through the field and left me plum tuckered for the 2nd lap which I slogged around before a better last lap… all good but sooo painful.

Overall I prefer my Enduro type stuff but I had a great day and top respect to everyone involved, riders and Pants and the crew.

Thanks

theotherjonv

if you enjoyed the course, then the Gorricks (starting in Feb) XC series is very similar terrain. More traditional XC stuff, shorter course of 4 miles +/- and lap rather than time based but run by largely the same crew and with the same good vibe to it.

mattjg
    Free Member

Mightily impressed at the speed the 4 hour leaders come past, it’s something to see. No 2 in the 4 hours was on a rigid SS Swift, just like mine, and he did 7 laps. That’s 50 miles! (I did 3!).

Why do the organisers call these races ‘Enduro’ and the others ‘XC’?

c_klein87

I really like the series, and this year it has been great again. Gutted I had a mechanical on the first lap and had to bail, roll on next year!

Al (on the ss swift) won the 4hr overall series as well, impressed is an understatement!

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Really enjoyed my first race. Came about halfway in the 18-39 2hr cat.

Great course, pretty relentless and about 90% singletrack which was great.

I’ve got massive respect for the top runners. Their speed is unbelievable. My 3 laps averaged about 50 mins per lap. The leaders were doing it in 35 mins over 7 laps. Astonishing.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Brass Monkeys Round 3 Roll Call’ is closed to new replies.