Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Brasher Hillmaster II GTX Boots, any good
  • flashes
    Free Member

I’m looking for a good walking boots, Mendips, Cotswolds, FOD type stuff, but also OK for a trip to the shops and also OK to use on the pub bike and Clunker. Would these be a bit too much? Alternatives????
    Ta

mt
    Free Member

Fine if looked after properly, had some rashers for ten years +

flashes
    Free Member

Cheers, would they be a bit OTT for occasional cycling????????

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve had two pairs. The rand split of both pairs really quickly but they never let water in. The sole can wear quite quickly too.
    They are a lightweight boot and break in to be very comfortable, with plenty of flex but still supportive for a mid ankle boot.
    They’re not overly large so you could cycle in them but might need slightly large pedals.

dknwhy

I’ve had some for a couple of years. They’re comfortable and if not too tightly would be ok to cycle in.
    They scuff easily though and I’m not sure they’re really worth the cost.
    When I come to replace then, I’ll probably go for something like these from Decathlon.

Del

i’ve had a pair of these for about 12 months.
    pros: comfy, light, waterproof ( to the extent that i’ve tested them ), decent value.
    cons: warm, sole wears fairly rapidly.
    you don’t feel every stone on the ground and they probably provide the minimum level of comfort/isolation that i would want if i was walking proper distance. they serve me well for what basically is dog walking to the pub, polish up every couple of weeks well, and don’t suffer too badly when trail building.
    i would buy again and recommend them, good value IMO, but they are warm.
    if they made them without the gore liner they would be ideal for me.

irc

good value IMO, but they are warm.
    if they made them without the gore liner they would be ideal for me.

+1

They are reasonably comfortable and break in easily. But they are too warm for serious summer walking. My feet are sore right now after 2 x 12 mile walks split with a bivvy on Rannoch Moor last night. I’m putting it down to my feet overheating in the boots largely down to the goretex liner. I was looking for leather boots without a goretex liner when I bought them. Very hard to find though as every maker seems to think goretaex is an essential selling point.

flashes
    Free Member

OK, a rethink is probably in order………….I may pop down to Blacks and Cotswold to see what they recommend. I can’t think why 1 pair will fit all my requirements as that’s also probably why I appear to have 11-ish bikes……………

petec
    Free Member

I have these from decathlon. Amazingly comfortable, been around the Lakes/Beacons/Peaks a few times in somewhat damp weather. And bone dry.

Probably won’t last as long, but…a lot cheaper.

thv3
    Free Member

Had a pair which lasted for absolutely years of abuse, were always waterproof and very comfy. My Dad also bought a set and also loved them.

We both replaced them within the last couple of years, and they’re still comfy but the build quality isn’t the same. He wore his pair out from new over 800km in Spain last May, mine are still ok but wearing noticeably.

Will probably try something else next time round.

BadlyWiredDog

OK, a rethink is probably in order………….I may pop down to Blacks and Cotswold to see what they recommend.

Good move. I’d don’t think anyone’s mentioned it, but Brasher’s fit – they’re now rebadged as Berghaus btw – is very wide both in the forefoot and the heel, which is great if they fit you, but not so clever if they don’t. Plenty of options out there, though as above, relatively few without a Gore-Tex or similar waterproof lining.

If you do have narrower feet and want something super comfortable, Ecco – best known for sensible shoes – make really good walking footwear too, they’re Biom fit is really nice, but there are loads of options. Essentially you want the ones that match your foot shape best and the easiest way of working that out is simply trying lots of different brands with help of a decent outdoor shop.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

V flexy indeed, and not my cup of tea at all. IMO you’re better off in some decent approach shoes. In fact, most approach shoes will provide better support. Personally, I prefer a decently stiff boot with decent roll on/roll off, otherwise what is the point of them? May as well wear wellies with the tops cut off.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Brasher Hillmaster II GTX Boots, any good’ is closed to new replies.