Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Brand-X Ascend II – who's got one?
  • eviljoe
    Free Member

Hi All,

Finally moving onto bigger wheels and bigger seatpost diameters-

Looking at a dropper for my new (to me) Titus Fireline Evo, on a bit of a budget, so looking at either a s/h 31.6mm Reverb, or something like am Ascend 2 off of Chain reaction (needs to be external routing- I am not brave enough to drill a ti frame!)

So does anyone have one? Keen to hear some real world experiences . Any other options around the £100- £130 mark?

Cheers !

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, but I’ve got a Shimano Pro Dropper which cost twice as much and surprisingly it lots almost identical bar the head.

I’m not sure they’re identical inside, but mine works well, when it works, it’s as smooth as my Reverb was. It’s very fussy about cable position, too tight a bend in the cable and it won’t return. The situation is made worse by the cap on the bottom which is think might be unique to Shimano.

Anyway, when I’ve got the cable right it’s great, as good as any dropper I’ve ever used.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Thanks P-jay, that’s useful. As an ex Gravity Dropper owner I know a thing or two about cable fettling… 🙄

Offers of reliable s/h droppers also welcome..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Have I missed something ? I thought the Ascend was stealth routing only .

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Ascend 2 is external and looks just like the Lev DX.

I bought a Ascend 2 but unfortunately it was too long (weird frame and short leg combo) looked very well made though. Gutted to have to send it back to crc

eviljoe
    Free Member

Ramsey-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-ascend-ii-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod159176

Is the one I’m looking at. With the BC discount it looks moderately bargainous

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Oh , I knew it was coming , just didn’t realise it was now available .

pottersmtber
    Free Member

Awesome, didn’t realise an external version was coming out and certainly didn’t know it was already available!!

fathomer

Oh I didn’t know these where coming out either, I’ll be having one to replace my dying Reverb in the near future 🙂

roverpig

Ordered one a few days ago do I can let you know in a little while 🙂

dirkpitt74

They seem to have expanded the range quite a bit – an XL 150 drop and a 27.2 85 or 105 drop CX post.
    The CX would be great for a kids bike too….

akira

Brand X lever is kak, bought one for my command post and it bent under use. Bought Race Face one and its much better.

Kamakazie

Just got the new XL.
    Smooth action and appears well made with 2 exceptions:
    – The remote: Feels flimsy (not the lever itself but the pivot mechanism), the design to attach to the bars is stupid and the shape doesn’t work well with Shimano brakes
    – The cable: Why put the anchor end at the lever, only to have to fit a screw grub at the post anyway?!? I know it’s not the only post to do so but it is a simple improvement to make.

If it is reliable as others have found the original then I’ll be happy though. Even with the flimsy feeling lever, it’s still better than the reverb button, and cheaper to change for another aftermarket option in the future.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Hi Kamakazie,

That’s useful to know. Was the XL internal routing or external?

Cable sounds like a pita, but similar to the old gravity dropper. Does anyone know if the bontrager lever fits?

spawnofyorkshire

Does anyone know if the bontrager lever fits?

I have the Bonty lever for my KS post. Works nicely, should work fine for the Brand X

eviljoe
    Free Member

@spawnofyourshire-

THIS ONE?

spawnofyorkshire

yep that’s the one.

Kamakazie

XL is internal routing but the lever is the same across the range.

Changing for a lever with its own grub would solve most of the shortcomings I listed.

spacemonkey

XL is internal routing

I’ve been holding out for one of these as Bird were the only place to source the 150mm flavour, and then stock ran out the day before ordering. Didn’t realise the XL was now mainstream, so I’ll get one. Am hoping the CRC reviews are honest as 2 of the 3 are based on freebie feedback.

EDIT: the “hole” can be high up the down tube as opposed to at the bottom of the seat tube?

core

I’ve just put a 150mm XL (31.6) in my Aeris 120, cable is a bit of a faff to set up, but once done seems good, action is as good as any post I’ve used and return speed can be adjusted with a shock pump through a valve in the head.

When setting up the cable the length of the inner that protrudes past the outer on the post end seems quite critical to ensuring smooth operation.

Why they couldn’t have anchored the cable on the post end I don’t know, would make it much easier to install, as it is you have to work out the length, cut it all, feed it in, then reattach lever to bars last.

StuF

damn seatpost is still too big though (old skool steel hardtail rider)

dukeduvet

Shame they don’t do a 27.2 external. The Lyne Contour post is exactly the same and they have one link

pocpoc
    Free Member

Dammit, I wish I’d known that there was an external one in the pipeline! I’d have held out for that rather than the RSP Plummet I went for a couple of months ago.
    Anyway, the Plummet has been fine so far and 100mm drop is working well for me so I’ll keep it until it dies.

nairnster
    Free Member

Looking at the pictures of the external it looks like the end of the cable at the lever doesnt have the barrel on it.

core

Tranz X as sold by Bike Discount is very similar and now in smaller sizes I think.

dhrider
    Free Member

Got one, Great job. Same post as the stealth which gets great feedback but obviously externally routed.

nairnster
    Free Member

Dhrider. Can you confirm at which end the cable clamps on the external post?

dhrider
    Free Member

Cable is clamped at the lever end on the external post.

It means you ideally need to use the lever supplied as the Brand-X 1x lever is designed to have the cable clamped at the seatpost end.

That being said, I am using the 1x lever and I just secured it by securing the wee barrel against the lever.

Not the way it was designed to be used and won’t win any style awards BUT it works perfectly and I’d rather do this than use the supplied lever as it worked better with my cockpit setup.

roverpig

My external version arrived today. Not had a chance to use it in anger yet, but initial impressions are pretty good. Compared with the external Reverb I’ve got on another bike the fixed cable position on the Brand-X is nice.

Installation was pretty straightforward. No having to worry about how much cable is exposed like on the the stealth version. The cable threads in from the post end and is clamped at the lever. It’s a bit of a fiddly grub screw arrangement but simple enough. The snap on cover at the post end looks as though it will do a good job of keeping the mechanism protected from the elements as well.

Getting the lever to play nicely with a 2x setup and Shimano brakes took a bit of care, but I found a position where I can reach everything and the cable routing is OK.

Ergonomically it’s not as good as a paddle type lever but no worse than the Reverb. It’s basically a push with the thumb for both and the action is lighter with the Brand-X (at least when it is new).

In use it works as you’d expect. Return speed (as it comes out of the box) seems about right to me. Positive, but not deadly.

There is a touch more rotational play than the Reverb, but we’re splitting hairs really. Both move a touch, but not enough that I can feel it when riding.

Of course what really matters is how reliable it proves, but it’s (hopefully) going to be a few months before I can comment on that.

jmedr8n
    Free Member

Liking the look of the ascend II (external routing) does anyone know the measurements for the max insert length and the collar/shaft/clamp arrangement? Reason I ask is I’m a short arse, and have a curved seat post!!!
    Also anyone got any thoughts on the dnm hqs dropper on Amazon for £100? Cheers

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ll have one on Monday, £113 from CRC with BC discount makes it hard to say no.

eviljoe
    Free Member

I bought mine yesterday-for some reason couldn’t make the BC discount work-maybe it’s discount upon discount not permitted. Well, still seems like good value

daern
    Free Member

Hmm. Do they do a 100mm version?

Rickos
    Free Member
    daern
    Free Member

Ah, but not in the newer “II” external version? 🙁

jonnym92

Looking at one of these since my reverb has given up.
    Don’t like the look of the 2x lever, is it worth getting the Brand X 1x lever or another? I’ve seen the Raceface one mentioned, also the Bontrager one above.
    Will these fit with the external cable ok?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The lever feels a bit like a home made rivet jobbie 😆

Has anyone broke one yet? Not the lever or cable problems, the seat post uppy downy mechanism.

nairnster
    Free Member

My stealth ascend is creaking like a bugger at the head of the post.

Going back under warranty this week. 1 year old almost exactly.

bigfoot
    Free Member

was thinking about replacing my reverb with the stealth version but mentioned it to a mate and it turns out ones on his spare bike. can’t remember what he said about it apart from suggesting to get something else.

roverpig

Fresh out of the box I’d say the external one is better than an external reverb, despite costing half as much. The action of the post is easily as smooth. The action of the lever is noticeably lighter and the fixed cable means no loop when it is dropped. However, my reverb has been working fine without me touching it for three years now, so it will be a while before I can really say that the brand X is as good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Brand-X Ascend II – who's got one?’ is closed to new replies.