Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brand new x01 shifting problems
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Slight problem shifting on brand new x01 gearing, was on a new bike so nothing I’ve done and will obviously take it back to get sorted properly when I get chance…here goes

Shifting is fine going through the gears as in it shifts down and up fine through each gear stationary…but it Makes a right racket in 11th gear smallest cog like its constantly catching on something, and the 4or 5 above seems to make a skipping type noise and judder up and down like it’s gonna change by itself, and also which I massively noticed when riding along and going over bumps / rocks etc and the suspension compresses the chain jumps up a cog at the back? Sure it’s just how it’s been setup but something isn’t quite right with it ….but when I’m in 11th gear smallest cog I can rock the rear mech back and forth not much but eneough to make the chain slack like it needs a few links taking out, guessing this is causing the problems shifting really and the noise in 11th but something isnt quite right? Any ideas? It seems to shift up fine and dandy just when going down the smaller cogs from about 6th downwards, get the skipping noise all th way to 11th it doesn’t seem to do it in work stand either really seems to happen more so on the trail? Could it be it needs a few links taking out? Would explain the jumping up a gear over bumpy stuff with it being slack, or the rear mech as I said moves slightly back and forth in 11th which again could be causing the jumping as the chains slack

Again I can get it sorted no probs just wondered if it sounds like something fairly simple

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

coatesy
    Free Member

Possibly B tension, or a bent mech hanger. If it’s a full sus, you may need the extra length on the chain to cope with “growth” during suspension movement, something you could get away with on a triple if you avoided cross gearing, but not on a single.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bails

Slightly too much (or too little) cable tension?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Don’t think it’sech hanger as it’s brand new, b tension was my thinking as I know the xx1 system is quite delicate in that regard but it shifts absolutly fine in 42t cog

Tension wise I guess it could be the cable too, would that explain the rocking of the mech in 11th when stationary? If I rock it forward in 11th it stays put where it is and creates slack in the chain which makes it seem like the chains to long, but

Should the x01/xx1 mech move back and forth when stationary in 11th? Can’t remember it doing that on old x01 stuff

I would have thought the mech should be pretty solid and not move like that

coatesy
    Free Member

Don’t rule out a bent mech hager just because it’s new, I use a tool on every brand new bike I build (lots), and estimate about 95% are out of whack, about 50% by quite a large amount.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers coatesy will have the check it out then, annoying thing is it shifted fine stationary and when in the work stand, typical when you get out and ride it’s not right

I can live with with the slight noise but the jumping a gear over bumps isn’t too great, but sure they’ll fix it ASAP

Sure the. Shop will sort it out anyways just wondered if it would be a simple fix although I think it probably is I’ll get ago to do it rather thane faff

mactheknife

Keep us updated OW, will be good to figure out all the niggles you are having 😀

Absolutely loving my x01, very sensitive to cable tension but so so so good 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mac – on a new bike from brand new now

shifting on my old x01 was absolutly spot on brand new, easily the smoothest gearing ive ever used, it needed a bit of tweeking on the rear mech spring (from that thread i started), but since then it was fine too!

the new one im running now, id guess was just setup incorrectly from the start TBH, nowt to do with the gears, just more so the person whom fitted it (it was pretty rushed too and seemed fine in the stand), obviously you need test it out when suspensions active to confirm its properly working, which is where the problem lies i suspect, the shop have said they’ll sort it no issues anyways, i really do believe this is simply just error in setup with tension of cable/b screw or similar

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brand new x01 shifting problems’ is closed to new replies.