Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brand new tyre with hole in side wall. Is it worth taking back!
  • welshfarmer

Picked up a new Spez Ground Control in the £20 deal a couple of weeks ago. Went to fit tubeless today. Mounted, inflated without sealant, hiss from sidewall. There appears to be a tiny pinhole in what looks like a rubber bubble. Obviously a manufacturing defect. If I had a tube in I would never have noticed and I have no doubt that the sealant will fix it without issue and that my first ride will pick up thorns from the hedge trimming round here so that it is not an issue. Now my trouble is that my LBS where I bought them is a 50 mile round trip (this being rural mid wales) and I hardly go that way anyway. So take it back and hope they have another in stock or will give refund, or just stick the sealant in (maybe a small patch to be sure) and not worry about it. Leaning towards the latter as I can’t be bothered to make a special trip to Hereford just for this.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s why you need sealant – only UST tyres are designed to be fully airtight. One of those things.

wwaswas

There’s often pin prick holes in sidewalls on tyres, I’ve found.

Cup or two of sealant and get on with life.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I can’t tell if that tyre is designed to be tubless or not. If it is then yeah take it back if not then I can’t see that you’ve anything to complain about as you are using it in a way that it wasn’t designed to be use.

wwaswas

they’re ‘tubeless with goo’ ready.

They’re not designed to be run without sealant. The sealant will deal with any small holes like this.

welshfarmer

Cheers Chaps, message received. Just never had a tyre with a hole from new before

stevegittins
    Free Member

I was under the impression that all Spec’ tyres were 2bliss which is their version of a UST tyre. Could well be wrong.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

You are, 2bliss refers to the bead

Baznav
    Free Member

As above spesh don’t make any ust tyres only tubeless ready.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brand new tyre with hole in side wall. Is it worth taking back!’ is closed to new replies.