Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Brand new roadie 105 Shifter Issue – no gear shifts – please advise!
  • unpacman
    Free Member

Hopefully someone can advise me on this, recently started a roadie bike build, taking parts form an older bike and some new parts add building onto a newish frame.

Bought some Shimano 105 5700 brifters/shifters off Merlin, brake cable and function is fine but can’t get the shifters to affect the front or rear mechs at all!

Gear cable installation seems fine, after watching loads of youtube vids and careful manual reading.
    Cable pull tests with hands affects the mechs front and back, they worked fine on the older frame as did the older shifters.

Merlin have emailed me back regarding the issue and think that the ratchets can be damaged if you shift click without cables in? Instructions state an order of cable installation that suggests otherwise.

Any advise before I take the bike round to my LBS or send the shifters back to Merlin would be most appreciated!
    Shimano tech docs

cynic-al
    Free Member

When you shift does the cable pull?

My money is you’ve done summit wrong, this is unheard of.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Cable ends not located properly would be my guess. It’s very unlikely you would have both shifters faulty in a pair.

swdan
    Free Member

Had this with my 105 5700 shifters.turned out I’d not got the cable ends in correctly, can be quite tricky if you’ve not done it before. It is the last hand shifter removing the little plastic cap on the side makes it easier

njee20
    Free Member

Cable ends not located properly would be my guess. It’s very unlikely you would have both shifters faulty in a pair.

This. It’s karma for using the term “brifter”.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Gear cable installation seems fine,

It won’t be. I had the same issue when I fitted mine. Cable installation appears tricky but you then get that ‘ah ha that’s it’ moment and its simple.

simondbarnes

Your cables are installed incorrectly

unpacman
    Free Member

“This. It’s karma for using the term “brifter”.”
    Knew someone would hate that! 😳 I did use a / with ‘shifter’ ! Can’t win on this forum, I tell you 🙂

I’ll check out the cable location again. On the old 105 5600 shifters I got, gear cables move in and out so thought I’d missed something.
    I thought both shifters not working would unlikely, thanks for the replies. Reassures me somewhat that Merlin could be wrong, certainly hope so.
    Failing sorting it out myself, will give up on achieving my first complete bike build – got it booked in for a once over at my LBS next week.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Failing sorting it out myself, will give up on achieving my first complete bike build – got it booked in for a once over at my LBS next week.

Its a simple fix, just take the cables out, look at the routing and try again.

unpacman
    Free Member

pebblebeach

Thanks, will try tonight.

dantsw13
    unpacman
    Free Member

dantsw13 – “Do you have this techdoc?”

Yeah, cheers though. Shifters are a full retail version with instructions.
    It’s annoying, even removed the tiny cable plate on the left side shifter as per instructions for better access, still don’t shift 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t win on this forum, I tell you

Of course you can, just don’t use the term brifter. No one requested it, they’re called STIs. 😉

unpacman
    Free Member

“Of course you can, just don’t use the term brifter. No one requested it, they’re called STIs. “

Duly noted! 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Learn to use the quote button too.

That really is all there is to winning at this forum.

Then you can tackle your inability to thread cables on STIs. #babysteps

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

This. It’s karma for using the term “brifter”.

😀

unpacman
    Free Member

Learn to use the quote button too.

That really is all there is to winning at this forum.

Then you can tackle your inability to thread cables on STIs. #babysteps

Oooh, beat up the newby #cynical

Still, thanks for the advice! 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Aaah, you need to get used to it, you’ll be fine! It was very tongue in cheek.

Don’t forget to post photos when it’s done so we can critique the length of your lawn and your fence. Align your valves.

unpacman
    Free Member

Cool, will do. Lawn’s a mess!

unpacman
    Free Member

Just as a thanks to all who chipped in, all sorted and fixed at home, cheers guys.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You forgot to plug it in then?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Brand new roadie 105 Shifter Issue – no gear shifts – please advise!’ is closed to new replies.