Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Branches and logs placed across trails
  • amt27
    Free Member

noticing this a lot in the Forest of Dean, mostly on trails far way from the cycle centre,

latest was about 20 branches across a track (old c19th railway line) which I removed and have been replaced (over a 2 week period)

this could be to block motor bikers, but at the end of the day prevents access for cyclist, horse riders and walkers (I wouldn’t want to climb over all those branches on a walk) and people will use alternative routes, damaging wildlife etc, plus the original tracks will become overgrown from non-use.

worth reporting to the Forestry Commission?
    do they have a duty of care to keep these open? (they are not footpaths or bridleways)

ryanctj
    Free Member

Are you sure they’re permitted trails? Where I live (South Wales) the Forestry Commision are usually the ones placing the trees there to prevent mountain bikes accessing some trails.

Muke
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIunH47qew[/video] 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

99% of the FoD isn’t “permitted”.Just tolerated. As far as I can see many of these branches are put down by kids with horses.
    Of course it could well be locals wanting to slow down MTBers which is fair enough in most of the Forest. No big issue as only a dimwit would ride outside their stopping zone. Live and let live.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Where in particular?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

mattsccm – Member
    No big issue as only a dimwit would ride outside their stopping zone

I guess everyone here who rides well-known trails fast must be idiots then, as when you come round a corner and there is an obstacle that should not be there you would rarely have time to stop if you’re anything of a decent/quick rider! This forum is full of moronic replies!

wallop

Nobody should be riding round corners on mixed use trails at a speed which would prevent them from stopping in time. This forum is full of morons!

wordnumb
    Free Member

obstacle that should not be there

Part of a tree in a forest?

carlos
    Free Member

Get it a fair bit in Macc Forest too, mainly laid every 5-10m. It on the normally tollerated runs that are off piste, still don’t know if its FC, walkers or the chaps that made them trying to preserve them a bit. Tend to stay away from them a bit as there is loads of other good local stuff

proberts
    Free Member

If hammering around a blind corner faster than you can stop if there’s horseriders/a family ect makes you a decent rider I’m glad I’m shit!

z1ppy

“stickman” there idiots like this throughout the county, just as there are on forums

xc-steve
    Free Member

groan typical boring response from STW.

There have been an increase in logs on one of my favorite routs (which is a cheeky trail so have avoided its use over summer) they are a pain but if you shouldn’t be riding there can’t complain… shall continue during the darker months.

If you genuinely think you can ride there or otherwise I’d ask/complain to the FC if they say your not supposed to then ask where they suggest you ride instead….

allmountainventure
    Free Member

On multi use trails the way to do it is send some one down first and check its clear.

Give respect to gain respect.

sp
    Free Member

“stickman” AKA some **** is making his/her/their presence known over Clent Hills (North Worcestershire Alps. One day I WILL catch them at it… 😈

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If hammering around a blind corner faster than you can stop if there’s horseriders/a family ect makes you a decent rider I’m glad I’m shit!

and a dickhead…

charli
    Free Member

walkers do it round near me as they dont like sharing trails like most arsehole walkers

Gorehound
    Free Member

If these trails are public footpaths you don’t really have a right to complain, if they’re bridleways or boats report the obstructions to the council.

continuity
    Free Member

I put branches and logs across trails. But only strava shortcuts.

grtdkad

Experience it around the Malverns every now and then too. Often after storms, high winds and the like. Ba$$tard$

drofluf
    Free Member

Could it be horse riders? Was talking to a woman in the office who rides, she said they put them there, not to upset cyclists, but to make their ride more interesting, like a little jump or something

mattsccm
    Free Member

Thats what I said.
    Is any seriously saying that they ride faster than they can stop? 🙄 And we wonder why people don’t like us.

scaredypants

learn to bunnyhop 🙄

Picture 0007 by scaredypants, on Flickr
    😉

proberts
    Free Member

Nice one TurnerGuy. I didn’t know you knew me.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

We get large branches (very obviously deliberately) placed across obvious cycle paths in our local woods. Not caught the culprit/s yet, but it’s surely just a matter of time. Although I have no evidence I’m guessing older dog walkers, funnily enough, in my experience, one of the groups most likely not to clear up after their dog has just shat everywhere against Woodlands Trust conditions.

HermanShake
    Free Member

We get loads of glass at our local mini-DH trails, I’m talking about big c shaped hunks of bottles dug into the steep sections. Not only is it worrying to think about slashing yourself open in an off, but the animals that live in the woods and the dogs that people walk there too.

However, while clearing glass, nails and other pointy rubbish the other day I found £2 the other day. Oh yeah!

We also get sticks/logs etc (haven’t had barbed wire in a while) at Stanmer.

Flippin’ eejits 😡

convert

My old boss was boss was got by a piece of super high tensile fishing line stung across at neck height. Made a proper mess of him as he shattered his shoulder on landing too. First thing he knew about it was waking up in A&E. I try not to think about it as there is nothing you can do and you would spend your days riding (and walking) at 2mph wafting in front of you for invisible lines.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

There were branches laid across one of the trails coming down from the Pludds (FOD) frankly the tracks are too steep for horses and I doubt you could walk down them that easy either! but some had been cut and placed across the trail. We cleared the ones that might make you have an off, left the others as part of the ‘natural’ challenge of riding in a forest 🙂 Does make you wonder why someone goes to the trouble?

coastkid
    Free Member

Used to get this on a trail after thinning out left a few big logs which someone kept dragging onto the trail.
    Do not have to be going that fast to get caught out by a log dragged across a trail. Contacted the council after an over the bars moment and nothing was done so took the chainsaw in the BOB trailer and cut them up, got some fire wood and problem sorted :mrgreen:

A mate said “what if someone came along when you were sawing?”
    Would you argue with an angry person yielding a chainsaw? 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syy57AeajXs[/video]

drofluf
    Free Member

A mate said “what if someone came along when you were sawing?”
    Would you argue with an angry person yielding a chainsaw?

‘Like’ 😀

nickswolves
    Free Member

Happens quite often on local mixed use wooded trails – its often dog walkers who we have caught in the act a few times. Also found string tied between trees which is a bit harsh 😕

glupton1976
    Free Member

What about if you come round a corner at warp speed and there is someone lying there with a serious spinal injury? Are you allowed to run into them because they shouldnt have been there? Muppet.

rkk01
    Free Member

I come across this a fair bit on my commute.

At first I thought walkers with a grudge, but it was a bunch of teenage girl horseriders putting up “jumps”. No different to us really, then. It was a public footpath, so neither of us should have ben there….

As for the responses ^ about speed on public trails – sorry to be “boring”, but some forum users need to grow up. There are places for balls out racing and there are places for considerate trail sharing

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nice one TurnerGuy. I didn’t know you knew me.

don’t have to – just going by your statements…

Why do you think people put logs/branches across trails, string fishing line between trees, it is because of idiot riders hurtling round shared-use trails/bridleways without regard to keeping safe stopping distances.

jonba
    Free Member

There is a degree of responsibility required in how you ride but that does not excuse attempts to cause harm to other people.

If it is a legitimate path then get the authorities involved.

On out club runs we occasionally carry folding/wire saws etc. to clear obsticles as sometimes thing just fall down.

However, I see your logs and raise you deliberate man traps in my local riding spot

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/communities/ryton/2012/08/27/chopwell-biker-injured-in-wire-sabotage-72703-31706683/

I think the police are involved in this one!

thehairyrider
    Free Member

I guess everyone here who rides well-known trails fast must be idiots then, as when you come round a corner and there is an obstacle that should not be there you would rarely have time to stop if you’re anything of a decent/quick rider! This forum is full of moronic replies!

glasgowdan – what if that ‘obstacle’ is a child!? There are indeed some morons on here…

thehairyrider
    Free Member

…and since when are ‘quick’ and ‘decent’ the same thing? You sound like a useless rider but are obviously ‘quick’ (reads:out of control)…go figure 😕

proberts
    Free Member

TunerGuy–I’ve had a look at your previous comments too and your obviously a **** bell-end so I’ll briefly explain myself….my comment was saying it’s NOT a wise idea to be risking other peoples safety by riding like a maniac around corners.

proberts
    Free Member

+1 the hairyrider

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

proberts – yes – you are right – apologies – put it down to tiredness after a big ride…

thehairyrider
    Free Member

and btw – the local farmers in my part of the Alps do this to discourage the motocross/enduro/dirt bikes bikes but again, these are PUBLIC trails for EVERYONE on PRIVATE land

If you can’t get over it on your bike, get off and climb over it or go ’round it – that’s the beauty of a mountain bike. What’s the big deal?

And people..be a bit more considerate – you don’t own the trails…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Branches and logs placed across trails’ is closed to new replies.