Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brakes: XT vs ZEE. Experiences
  • bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Looking at these.
    Anyone ridden both?
    To be used for enduro/allmountain/whatever you wish to call it. Dabbling in a bit of racing too.

As far as I can tell price is relatively similar and the zee has 4 pistons as opposed to two.

Weights also look broadly similar too!? WHich is a little bit confusing. Data taken from http://www.sicklines.com/weights/discbrakes/

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Scamper
    Free Member

Not used XT but compared to the SLX, Zee are even more powerful but with way more modulation and less grabby – big improvement. More ‘basic’ ie tool reach adjustment and caliper banjo bolt looks cheap if better located. Comes with split pin pad retainer but this can be upgraded to XT bolt. Heavier than even Deore brakes.

welshfarmer

I have just fitted a Zee to front of my rig (trail-big mountain riding mainly) because the Deore I had just never seemed powerful enough and we have now booked a trip to the Alps in Summer. Initally they felt no better than the Deores but now they have bedded in they are much much more powerful but without being grabby. I rode my mates Commie on Wednesday with XT and they felt much sharper so you had to be far more gentle on the brakes. He does ride 34 forks though so his front end might be stiffer. He has been debating getting Zee so we had the conversation. Pros of the Zee, are that they should fade less and have good modulation, and pads are larger sop should last longer. Cons. Weight. That website must be wrong. They are a real lump of alloy. You know you have one in the hand! Plus no quick adjust which I don’t miss but my mate says he sues quite a lot in the course of a day if it gets wet and the bite-point changes (I just ride!).

MrNero50
    Free Member

Got both. XT on Niner and Jones, Zee on Nukeproof. Only swapped XTs off the Mega as I fancied black brakes.

Yes the Zees are more powerful, but the XTs have done a few uplifts with 180mm rotors and were fine.

I’d happily ride either.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

A quick google says I can get a set of XT’s for £130 from Merlin and a set of Zee’s for £160ish from tweeks. (Anyone spots any deals, let me know!)

However based on what’s said above, the XT’s are much lighter and have more than enough stopping power. I’m leaning towards them, thoughts?

Alex

New XTs are bonkers powerful. I have some on my 29er FS. Have older SLX on my HT and they are not as powerful. Still blooming good brakes tho. I’d agree the XT’s require a little finesse especially if you have big rotors.

I just bought Zee for my Mega AM based on the experiences of a couple of riding mates who have them on their big bikes. Power is stunning, and I do think they are a little less grabby. Definitely heavier tho

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brakes: XT vs ZEE. Experiences’ is closed to new replies.