Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Brakes howling and poor stopping power. Long term problem.
  • Collarbone
    Free Member

Thanks all, you’ve pretty much nailed the problem I’ve had with my brakes for a couple of years now. Older XT don’t seem to have the issue just one bike with newer generation Shimano on it being useless after standing in the store for a week or so. I’ve even started taking the pads out of the callipers after a ride and putting them in a plastic bag but that doesn’t seem to help.

I’m not disputing the assertion about fluid leak just puzzled why there was no evidence of oil on tissue paper I had in the calliper with the brake clamped on overnight. Not that it matters as the answer looks to be either Hope or reclaim older Shimano from the used/abused bin.

oldnpastit

I just took my bike out of the shed after it had been standing there for a week.

Howling front brake, contamination on the rotor and pads.

I noticed a streak of oil on the back of one of the pads, running from the centre of the pad to the edge.

oldnpastit
    oldnpastit

I’ve found a small UK-based company who make a rebuild kit for these brakes. I’ve ordered one, so we’ll see how that goes. It’s quite expensive, but hopefully worth it….

core

I’ve got deore m615 brakes on two bikes, both lots do this, it’s bloody infuriating, I can clean then all up, bed back in, no howling, good power, same for next few rides within a week or two, then put bike away and back to square one next time out.

paladin

oldnpastit – Member
    I’ve found a small UK-based company who make a rebuild kit for these brakes. I’ve ordered one, so we’ll see how that goes. It’s quite expensive, but hopefully worth it…

😆 great find!

Scamper
    Free Member

Same issue here on my rear 3 year old Deore 615m. Funnily the howling is only when coasting. Tried all the usual solutions so a new caliper turned up today for £24 including pads, bleed block and spacers. Think that would buy one screw on a set of Hopes 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Brakes howling and poor stopping power. Long term problem.’ is closed to new replies.