Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Brakes deore or slx ceramic piston reliability ?
  • oldie
    Free Member

Hi guys

I need new brakes as my front calipers leaking.

I’m swaying towards the slx m675 as it’s only £10 more then the deore m615 but am a bit worried about the ceramic piston breaking/shattering. From all the topics I have read the deore brakes are as good as the slx apart from ceramic pistons and lever adjusting know.

The brakes are for a commuter so what do you reccomend? Are my worries about the ceramic pistons silly?

My current brakes are tektro auriga and worked wonderfully up until the leak on the front? Should I just replace the leaking brake or upgrade?

Cheers

jonk

You could always just buy a shimano caliper and replace your tektro one, tektro levers will work with shimano calipers no problem.

here

oldie
    Free Member

I didn’t know that. I may do that as a last resort.

I need something reliable for my commuter hence I thought I might buy new.

jonk

The ceramic pistons help with heat build up. Both deore and SLX brakes are superb for the money. It’s really down to if you need the lever adjustment screws IMO.

oldie
    Free Member

Tbh I adjusted my tektro once wiit has a little allen key and have not touched it since. I’m more concerned about the ceramic piston then anything else. Maybe my worries are unfounded. M615 are £80 and slx are £90.

tomhoward

Are my worries about the ceramic pistons silly?

Yes, unless your commute is down an Alp. Both ways.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve had a fair few pairs of recent Shimano brakes and the Deores were the most reliable by far and never needed any fiddling with. I also found them the easiest to get a good lever feel with.

oldie
    Free Member

Lol

Thanks for the replies.

Which models were problematic?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Brakes deore or slx ceramic piston reliability ?’ is closed to new replies.