Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • brakes – can somebody help me make my mind up?
  • jools182
    Free Member

current options are

scour ebay etc to find a replacement rear hayes stroker brake to replace my knackered one

get some formula oro’s or k24’s from the UK distributor in their sale – £130 ish

look for Hopes on ebay

Get a set of mew M4’s including rotors for about £240

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hopes. Not the most powerful or the lightest but perfectly serviceable and reliable as erm a reliable thing.

bigdonx
    Free Member

As above. Hopes – reliable, and if you do have a problem easy to get parts for, and easy to work on.

M4s have plenty power.

EDIT – and they’re British – so you’ll be helping the recovery……..!

iainc

last yr I reckoned my Mono Mini’s were the ideal brake.

Now I prefer my xt servowaves.

I reckon teh Hope’s will last longer though, and as said by others, are more serviceable than Shimano

duir
    Free Member

Hopes. Agreed they are not lightest but they are very reliable, easy to work on and Hopes backup is legendary. I find my M4s and V2s to be some of the most powerful brakes I have used but they need to be setup correctly or they will feel underpowered.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have bought a load of hopes secondhand – no great issues with any of them and all parts available if repair is needed.

Shimano give great value but cannot be repaired if a seal goes.

So for a long term relationship – hope, for a quick exciting fling – shimano

granny_ring

I might have a rear stroker trail if you want it?

KT1973
    Free Member

Well just to add to the mix, I like my XTs but I think I actually prefer the wifes K24s

jools182
    Free Member

granny ring

depends how much you’re after 😉

thejesmonddingo

I’ve got these,I think they’re better and lighter than my M4s were,and definitely more powerful than my current XTs,and if you follow the instructions,they’re easy to bleed.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Brakes/Disc+Brakes/Sram++Avid+Disc+Brakes/Avid+Elixir+CR+Mag+Disc+Brake+Set+-+Front++Rear_2612.htm

granny_ring

I’ll check the spares box later and get back to you.

granny_ring

Jools ygm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘brakes – can somebody help me make my mind up?’ is closed to new replies.