Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • brakes and shifters set up
  • tonup
    Free Member

Right.
    Just bought some hope tech m4s off here and put em on last night.
    All working fine but they just dont go with retro xt shifters ive got.
    Im still quite new to this game so dunno the name of this sort of shifter but you
    Gear down with your thumb and click up with your fore finger.
    The clasp and resevoir and the adjustment mech of the brakes leaves next to no room to click up.
    Can anyone suggest a decent shifter to compliment these brakes ?
    A set with long triggers maybe ?????
    Thanks in advance folks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

most modern Shimano stuff seems to have worked for me in the past. Currently on SRAM Grip Shift, no issues anywhere 🙂

dantsw13

I think you need to change the “angle of dangle” of your brakes and shifter pods. There is a good. 30 degrees difference between mine. Try your brake levers just below horizontal.

The other question is how many fingers do you use to brake?

The ideal for MTB is one finger braking. Try changing it around so the brakes are mounted inboard of the shifter. The ends of the brake levers will still overlap the grips, allowing you to use your index fingers to brake with.

It might feel odd, but make both changes together, and in a day or so,it will feel natural.

tonup
    Free Member

Thought of that dan but the shifters have selctor indicators which means they sit even further back. Been told these can be blanked off but its gunna be next to impossible what with them being retro xt ! :/

dantsw13

Picture of the setup/shifters? The shifter windows are normally removable, 2 little tiny screws. There is a blanking plate, but its not essential.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my 9 and then 10 speed shifter with Hope tech M4 evo brakes. I tried Hopes matchmaker clamp which didn’t help at all. I bought an XTR shifter as it looked slightly slimmer than the XT. This has helped slightly but the shifter is still not where I would like it. I almost have to push down on the lever instead of forward.
    You get used to it though.
    Its a common complaint and one which hope have admitted and addressed with the new Tech 3 lever

Taken from the hope website

Hope Tech 3 – Some riders have previously commented on the relative bulkiness of the Tech and Tech Evo master cylinders, sometimes making it hard to fit the master cylinder around already
    clogged up handlebars (shifters, fork and shock lockouts, telescopic seat post controls etc).
    We have worked hard to make the new Tech 3 master cylinder easier to integrate on the bars although it does entail losing the ambidextrous design.

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG533

Andy

tonup
    Free Member

Cheers fella’s im working at moment but ill try and post piccy’s later !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘brakes and shifters set up’ is closed to new replies.