Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brakes!
  • wesleyspencer9
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve recently started riding again after a few years away with young kids etc, bla bla bla.

However I’ve bought a 2017 nukeproof scout at a bargain price. I’ll literally be riding a bit of everything Very pleased except the brakes……

Slx levers and Hayes stroker ryde calipers!

I don’t really want to spend too much so how do I go about fixing this!

Thanks!

Nobby

Merlin had Deore sets in for £90 recently.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with deores, or even Clarke’s M2 hydraulics are good value.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Slx levers and Hayes stroker ryde calipers

Something wrong there – hayes brakes are Dot fluid, shimano are mineral oil.
    On the basis the above is asking for trouble anything should offer an improvement, deore or magura mt2 can usually be had cheap and offer good performance.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, either replace whoel lot with Deore, or find some Shimano calipers (and hoses) and ditch the Hayes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Aren’t Hayes brakes Dot fluid? I wonder which the previous owner used, DOT fluid or oil…

Assuming they’ve used Oil and all the seals in the levers aren’t ruined Shimano calipers are cheap enough. 4 pot Deores, 2 pot whatevers (they’re largely the same).

I’ve got Guide REs on my new bike, despite saying I’d never go SRAM brakes again, they’re really very good.

isitafox
    Free Member

4 pot deore are great for the money, definitely go for them

brakes
    Free Member

you rang?

wesleyspencer9
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ve got some Clarks to go on the wife’s bike. I’ll stick them on and look for calipers in the meantime!

nixie

I wouldn’t risk buying calipers. You have no idea what the previous owner put in there so I’d treat the existing brakes as scrap.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I bought a bike recently with the lowly shimano m396, I think they are. They work perfectly for normal trail riding and I’m not going to swap them out for e4s now until they give up. I’m well happy with them!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk buying calipers

Very much this.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Deore 4 pots are dirt cheap if you buy from Germany and are significantly better than the 2 pot brake (speaking from experience of both).

JP

johnw1984
    Free Member

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-br-mt501-disc-brake-set-721660

Blimey! Didn’t realise they were this cheap now! Bookmarked for the new build 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brakes!’ is closed to new replies.