Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brakes
  • foxy77
    Free Member

Only been riding a year now and love it. I have been upgrading my Saracen mantra and now have a pretty decent spec hardtail. Next on the list are the brakes, it currently has Shimano br-m355 brakes but would like more stopping power as I’m getting much faster on the red routes…any recommendations that don’t cost the earth??

nickc

bigger rotors?

thejesmonddingo

nickc +1 ,try a 180mm rotor on the front,the 160mm rear should be fine. you’ll need an adaptor as well.

foxy77
    Free Member

Thanks…I was thinking about rotors….I put some Rockshox 3o forks on that will take a max 180mm…will I still need an adaptor?

thejesmonddingo

If the mount on the fork looks like this

then you’ll need one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mount-adaptor-front-post-to-post/rp-prod13747%5D

foxy77
    Free Member

Hi Jesmondingo

It does look like this but on the spec it said it could take a 180mm….your link only shows chainreaction page. Please could you send again.

Pete

thejesmonddingo

It has a 160mm on now,the linked adaptor moves the caliper out 10mm to work with a 180mm rotor.You need the 180mm rotor to 160 pm fork one shown here.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mount-adaptor-front-post-to-post/rp-prod13747
    (I’ve checked the link,it works this time)

foxy77
    Free Member

Oh yes I see what you mean….thanks for your help. If I were to go for complete new do you think the Shimano xt m8000 are any good?

Poopscoop

Everyone on here will all be really opinionated about make/model of brakes mate! Lol

If money is a factor keep an eye on the for sale forum. Upgradeitus is endemic on here so there are always lots of brakes for sale generally. 😀

Personally… I would go for some SRAM Guides. That said, they may not mate up to your setup if your running Shimano triggers?

I’m no expert on that though (or much else…) and I’m sue you can make sram and Shimano play nicely if required! 😀

Lots of very, very knowledgeable guys on here that will also be able to offer their opinions mate.

Many people love the XT’s and hate the Guides… AND visa-versa! 😀

scc999

Shimano Deore upwards are great – run a 180 rotor on the front and unless you are a very big lad you’ll be fine for power.
    I’ve got SLX on my curret bikem that’s what it came with. I’ve run Deore on other bike and o/h has deore too.

Heard lots of good things about SRAM Guides too, but I’m sticking with Shimano for now.

Si

foxy77
    Free Member

Thanks guys, this is a whole big world of tech…I thought getting tapered shocks into straight steerer was complex. I am becoming really into this….almost as much as riding.
    I have s lot to learn.

Poopscoop

The upgrading can become addictive and expensive…

I know what you mean though,I like the techy side of it. It interests me. 😉

foxy77
    Free Member

Your right my entry level Mantra now has dropper new forks, dropper post, pedals, grips, rear mech, tyres…and rides really well. I absolutely love this game, guess I’ve got the bug.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brakes’ is closed to new replies.