Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Brake Upgrade from Avid Elixir 1
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

So… STW people…… I’ve never really been totally happy with the stock brakes (Avid Elixir 1) on my Giant AnthemX29.

A recent attempt at re-bleeding couldn’t remove the sponginess which I don’t like at the levers .

I originally thought of upgrading to higher model Elixir…. But would be willing to take recommendations from you guys with more knowledge than me!

I would quite like adjustable reach levers ….. Don’t mind having ‘last years ‘ model if there are deals to be had ….. Would like to stay with black colouring if poss, …. Don’t want to spend a fortune … Ideally no more than £150 for a full set .

Advice and recommendations welcome ….

transporter13
    Free Member

Shimano m615.

Cheap
    Work well
    Easy to bleed when the need arises

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SLX all the way! Budget, but good!

paulmgreen
    Free Member

A couple of searches show SLX M675 well priced ….. Is it an easy job to shorten hoses if required ?

jonny-m
    Free Member

I have a set of elixir 3’s for sale in white, £100 ono, better than the 1s…
    Apologies for the hijack!

stoney
    Free Member

Hope`s …..if you can stretch the budget! 😉

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I upgraded my Elixir 1s to Deore M615s.
    In a blind test I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

My Elixirs are very spongy and despite repeated bleeding just can’t get them much better.

shedfull
    Free Member

Shimano brakes are easy to shorten hoses on. Mount the lever on the bar, undo the hose bolt and pull the hose from the lever (keep the hose upright at all times), use cable or hose cutters to cut the hose to length, thread on a new olive (supplied with the brake), open the hole in the end of the hose a little with a small allen key, clamp the hose upright in a vice (using the clamping blocks supplied), tap a new spigot (also supplied) into the end of the hose with a small hammer and bolt the hose back into the lever.

No need to bleed!

drofluf
    Free Member

Upgrade from Elixirs? How about putting a foot on the tyre?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

It’s not that they don’t work…. Wheels will lock….. But you can still carry on pulling lever almost to the bar due to sponginess

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Agree with everything shedfull says. I’d never buy anything other than shimano now. I’ve got xt and slx. Bought the xt ones first but would have bought the slx ones if i’d known they were going to be just as good. Like he says shortening hoses is really simple but if you’re doing it with the brake still attached to the bike be careful not to let any brake fluid drip down onto the caliper.

devash
    Free Member

I upgraded my Elixir 1s to Deore M615s.
    In a blind test I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Blindfolded and ear-plugged you might not be able to tell the difference….

….but the rest of us would hear you coming a mile off with all that break squeal / turkey warbling from the Avids.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Deore 615’s why pay more?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My Elixirs never squealed

lukeryan
    Free Member

Had elixir 1s and managed to kill them after 3 rides. Can’t imagine higher end elixirs being any better. Have 2 sets of deore 615s now and for the money they are incredible.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Is it an easy job to shorten hoses if required ?

Too easy: http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/shorten-shimano-hoses-without-bleeding/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Brake Upgrade from Avid Elixir 1’ is closed to new replies.