Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Brake Upgrade
  • shindiggy
    Free Member

Currently use XT M775 servo wave brakes, I have been happy with them, but as with all things the Hope Tech M4’s have taken my fancy.

Is it worth making the change in terms of power/feel.

Cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No

shindiggy
    Free Member

What makes you say that?

flow
    Free Member

I would.

ruscle
    Free Member

Half price on Hope brakes at winstanleysbikes

flow
    Free Member

I definitely would then, the Tech levers are so nice looking and well made.

The M4’s are supposed to have amazing power and modulation too.

Got some coming on a Five

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What makes you say that?

I had some older XT’s, the servo wave ones are supposedley even better. I had 4 years trouble free braking from them, they were great.

Like you, I fancied some hopes (newer style mini’s though) which I bought 2nd hand (great condition) at a good price. I’ve fitted them and used them twice, they arent as good as my 4 year old XT’s were. Perhaps I need to bed the pads in better, as I’ve only used them twice.

In my opinion, Hopes are very expensive for what they are, and everyone knows XT’s/SLX brakes are about the best you can get for near enough any money.

Also, my mate who rides downhill has some of the M4’s with those funny levers, and he’s had issues with them. I wouldnt bother if I were you.

I’ll probably keep the Hopes I have now and see if I can get them setup properly, for xc riding they feel just about ok though.

flow
    Free Member

Advice from someone who doesn’t even know if they are bedded in properly, or hasn’t changed the pads is always good.

How do you know they aren’t contaminated as they are 2nd hand?

I haven’t read anything bad about the M4’s, and people who use them have nothing but praise for them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The pads are new, I’ve used them on two (maybe three) rides. They havent really improved much, perhaps I need to drag my brakes more. Never used to have this “bedding in pads” problem with my XT’s, so Im just assuming the brakes are worse.

flow
    Free Member

What pads are they?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

At least my opinion is based on limited use though. Your’s is based on the fact that they are “so nice looking” and you “have some coming on a 5”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont know what pads they are, Hope I think.

flow
    Free Member

No, mine is based on the use of the X2’s on the demo bike for 7 hours which were fine, and the M4’s are supposed to be even better.

flow
    Free Member

So they could be shite pads then…

magoo37
    Free Member

If you look around this forum you will find loads of people who HAVE tried Hopes but still dont rate them!

I’ve just fitted some Formula Mega’s on my bike and they are bloody awesome, great modulation and waaaaay more stopping power than I’ll ever need (hopefully!!) …. at £160 new against the rrp of £380 for a complete setup you really cant go wrong (ebay .. Absolutecycles)

forgot to mention… they look the dog’s!!!

flow
    Free Member

Winstanley bikes doing 50% off Hope brakes.

If you look around this forum you will find loads of people who HAVE NOT tried Hopes and dont rate them!

Sorted that one

nmdbase
    Free Member

The X2 I tried were crap, my XT are much better. Hope do look nice though!

flow
    Free Member

The old, worn out X2 I tried were crap, my new XT are much better. Hope do look nice though!

shindiggy
    Free Member

I can’t fault by XT M775’s I was just swooned by the 50% off at winstanleys.

As they have now sold out the combinations I wanted I will stick with my XT’s 🙂

nmdbase
    Free Member

The old, worn out X2 I tried were crap, my new XT are much better. Hope do look nice though!

On a bike that had done under 30 rides?

magoo37
    Free Member

WOW Mr Flow, you know what I meant even though I didnt … impressive, NOT!!

Northwind

They’re decent enough brakes, too expensive normally but big discounts on just now.

But since you’re happy with the M775s, stick with them, spend the cash on hookers and blackjack.

norcosix
    Free Member

I thoyght about this upgrade for years. I have been through about 4 makes off brakes in the past 2 years and have now bought a very good condition set off m4 techs. All i am going to say is wow and kick myself for wasting so much money on the other brakes.

buy the hopes !!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Brake Upgrade’ is closed to new replies.