Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brake questions
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Can i use the caliper fitting kit from Avid brakes on Hayes brake calipers?

Can i use Dot 5.1 fluid in Hayes brakes (Stroker Trail)?

carlos
    Free Member

Don’t know about the fitting kit, I suppose if the pads are in the correct position on the rotor and nothing rubs, then yeah why not.

Not according to Hayes – http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Stroker45-21883EnglishWeb.pdf

Quote “Caution: Use only new DOT 4 or DOT 3 brake fluid from a closed, sealed container. Use of any other fluid can cause the rubber parts to degrade and cause the brake to fail.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

TuckerUK
    Free Member

DOT 5.1 is the same make-up as DOT 3 and 4.

Don’t take wikipedia too seriously, it’s a US site.

carlos
    Free Member

I was sorta thinking that and the only difference really is the boiling point, but wasn’t 100%.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Carlos just pulled this off the Hayes PDF……….

“Recommended Fluids and Lubricants
    Use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. Do not use any petroleum-based lubricants, as this will cause the rubber parts to swell. HB Performance Systems recommends the
    use of DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. Clean the disc and pads only with isopropyl alcohol”

Surely DOT 5.1 isn’t petroleum based and is therefore ok? (just guessing mind)

carlos
    Free Member

My thinking is as long as they are not Shimano or other specific mineral fluid only that any of the Dot fluids could be used, I for example use Honda 5.1 in my Hope’s which I get in 500ml bottles off my Dad whenever I need one.

I probably should have added that “If they were my brakes I’d use the 5.1” in my first post. They’re not and probably apita to sort if things go boobies up, so thats why I posted the link and quote off of the Hayes site.

5.1 is silicone based

Or just go to Halfrauds and get a 500ml of Dot 4?

bigbloke
    Free Member

DOT 5.1 is Glycol based i think same as DOT4 etc and DOT 5 is silicon? Could be wrong on that though??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brake questions’ is closed to new replies.