Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • brake pads…best deals out there?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

ive got a front Shimano Zee and a rear SLX brake.
    i took out the standard pads last year and replaced them with a set of the Superstar Kevlar ones.
    following sunday’s very muddy ride, i checked them last night and the front ones had a bit of uneven wear and were in fact down to last 1mm of pads left. the rear ones were the same.
    i’ve got a spare set for the front so they’re in but to be honest i thought the braking performance of kevlar pads would be better that the normal organic ones…so i’m reluctant to get more kevlar pads from superstar.

what are my options?
    where are the best deals for the best performing pads?

the uneven pad wear was down to a bit of play in the front hub but that has now been sorted.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I find sintered last the longest, have you tried them?

rhid

I quite like Uberbike Race matrix. They seem to last a while and its £30 for 4 pairs (well it was last time I bought some).

nickjb
    Free Member

Sintered will be best for wet and mud but I find Kevlars are fine as long as you bed them in. It is unlikely they would bed in naturally on a cold and wet ride.

binners

Kevlar pads in the north west of England in winter?

I’m amazed you made it 100 yards before they were down to the metal

Superstar sintered for winter filth. Kevlar for’t summer

jekkyl

yup superstar deals for 4 sets, just make sure you set all 4 drop downs to the same selection. You also get free haribo tangfastic! ‘makes yer tabs laugh’

gonzy
    Free Member

I find sintered last the longest, have you tried them?

ive had sintered before on my other bikes and they were as you say very long lasting if a bit squeally in the wet. i just fancied a change and thought i’d try the kevlars.

It is unlikely they would bed in naturally on a cold and wet ride.

the fresh pads went on after the ride. theyll get bedded in this weekend.

gonzy
    Free Member

yup superstar deals for 4 sets, just make sure you set all 4 drop downs to the same selection. You also get free haribo tangfastic! ‘makes yer tabs laugh’

thats where i got mty current kevlar ones form. got the deal for 4 sets (2 pairs for the zees and 2 for the slx’s) but i gave a pair of the slx pads to a friend when his organic pads died mid-ride. so my option is stick the old half worn organic finned pads on the slx and the new kevlar pads on the front until i get some new pads.
    i might try the uberbike ones if they’re any good

bullandbladder
    Free Member

+1 for Uberbike a Race Matrix. Excellent straight out of the box.

argoose
    Free Member

uberbike sintered 4 pairs £23 used them for years in welsh winters

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘brake pads…best deals out there?’ is closed to new replies.