• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Brake pads – Superstar v Shimano? Will I die?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Off to the alps in 10 days, gonna take some replacement pads – tempted with the Superstar Kevlars but have only used genuine Shimano pads before.

I know I’ll probably die just for asking but how different are the SS to genuine pads?

jedi

i use shimano or crocodile pads iirc

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I imagine crocodile pads have some serious bite… ba dum dum tch!

chakaping
    Free Member

The Shimano pads are better for sure, but SSC ones are so much cheaper that I can live with them.

Organic is my preference over sintered, kevlar or other special pads.

mikey74
    Free Member

Stay away from SS sintered: They are noisier than a Miss Piggy spit-roast.

SS kevlar for me: I’ve used them for a few years, including trips to Whistler.

ricky1
    Free Member

Think it all depends how much you use brakes aswell,personally I always use shimano pads,not tried the superstar ones yet,I’ve heard they wear down quicker,hence the price.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

How does the stopping power compare? Any noticeable difference?

binners

10 days in the Alps? You’ll go through brake pads at a rate of knots, whatever you use. Order a shedload of SS Kevlars and you’re laughing.

nickjb
    Free Member

Been using ss Kevlar for years on both bikes. Good all rounders. They work and they’re cheap. What’s not to like?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Binners – going in 10 days – at my age not sure physically I’d survive 10 days in the alps. I like your optimism though

Since they are damn cheap I’ll give them a go – Kevlar it is.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If they’re anything like disco sintered they’re the noisiest pads in the history of pads. Fibrax are very good thiugh

andyg1966

In the Alps I use EBC red, a downhill pad. Last about 3 days but lever feel the same at the bottom off the descent when baking hot as at the top. No fade, no lever pump nothing, just work.

I use 203 rotors in the Alps.

Lots of black dust to mess up your white forks!!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve used SS kevla pads in the Alps and they work well, they’re especially useful on wet days when sintered pads last, but can glaze very easily if you get a dry spell.

Given non-finned Shimano pads are also SS cheap and SS pads aren’t finned anyway I wouldn’t bother with organic SS pads.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Brake pads – Superstar v Shimano? Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.