• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Brake pad wear limits
  • mrmoosehead
    Free Member

So I was wondering at what point y’all change your brake pads.

Avid Elixir pads, so they have the metal spring clip thing that goes on the inside of the pads to hold them apart.

I change them when this metal spring is in danger of becoming part of the braking surface.

But looking at the amount of braking material left, vs amount used, it’s a huge amount left over. Theoretically loads of life left, if it weren’t for the spring thing.

I’m a naturalised Yorkshireman, so this represents a waste of money to me… 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

Metal on metal + 2 rides.

soobalias
    Free Member

doesnt the spring come with the pads?
    so use it till the spring is no longer a spring.

i tend to change pads if they are getting thin, before a weekend away riding, sticking the part worns in my bag for an emergency and giving chance to bed in new pads in a controlled environment.

rocketman
    Free Member

Change them quite frequently usually way before they are worn out

imo fresh brake pads are one of life’s simple pleasures along with tyres, chains, sprockets, cassettes, BBs etc

ebennett

Erm, usually when the pad wears so much that the disc starts catching on the springy thing… 😳

andysredmini
    Free Member

Change when the spring has partially worn away and starts making a clicking sound on the rotor.

Or if you make the mistake of buying 4 sets of supertar pads then change them during during the first ride when the pad material falls off the backing plate.

ben98
    Free Member

Just after the piston punches through the pad backing plate and becomes the braking surface, and even then.. 😉

scotroutes

I’ll usually wait until the spring is hitting the rotor but often replace before this if I’m paying attention and preparing for a longer ride. I’d rather waste a sliver of brake pad than have to change them during a ride.

Northwind

Depends what I’m doing- if I’ve got a long or really abrasive day, I’ll change earlier. But usually I run them til there’s basically no friction material left. Sometimes a bit longer 😉

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

@Northwind – does this not leave mangled metal spring bits in brakes?

I think I change them too early because I don’t want to get to the point of the spring being mangled, but I suspect that I am not getting my money’s worth, as it were.

I also wish there was a way of recycling the metal backing into new pads, but I guess it wouldn’t be viable.

mc
    Free Member

The spring provides a good enough wear indicator for me. You usually hear it making contact before it eventually gets ingested, and starts making clicky noises. However those usually stop after a couple more descents, at which point I’ll consider finding a new pair of pads.

It should probably be noted I subscribe to the ‘run it till it doesn’t work’ school of bike maintenance, then think about fixing it.

jimw
    Free Member

With Avid pads I used to change earlier than when fully worn as I found it helped prevent the Avid Piston Problem. Then I gave up with Avid brakes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Brake pad wear limits’ is closed to new replies.