Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • brake pad fallen off backing plate, is it worth complaining?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

3rd set of four pads bought as a bulk buy 2 years ago, where the pad has fallen off the backing plate.

The pads had been in my ss over winter, was left in garage un ridden since April. Gave it a service today ready for this winter and pad fell out in garage. Previous 2 sets went same way.

Considering how long ago I originally purchased is it worth complaining?

(Name of manufacturer withheld. You are welcom to speculate).

CHB

If two years old then you have no right to complain or reject.
    Just remember the brand and buy different next time.

rOcKeTdOg

one of the “bad batch” if it’s that long ago, too late to complain i reckon

captaindanger

A few manufacturers had the same problem for a while a few years back, don’t think there’s much to do, perhaps try and send it back for a replacement

Scapegoat

Why not ask the supplier? You never know, if they are who most of us will suspect they are, they may well be sufficiently wary of their brake pad track record to send you some replacements. If they do, you both win, if they don’t, well, 7 months is a long time for a brake pad to sit neglected in a shed anyway, especially as it was already 18 months old!

DezB
    Free Member

I could guarantee that if I dug out some 2 year old Discobrakes pads and tried to use em the pads would fall off. I’d just buy some new ones.

paul4stones

I sent some back to Madison a couple of years ago. Used for one (admittedly mountainous) ride and fell apart as above. Never heard a thing back.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bet they were not HOPE.

bland

There are only 3 (i believe) disc pad manufacturers out there and the one that makes most of the cheaper varieties had a problem with the resin some time back. It was one batch, albeit a big one that went wrong and was rectified quickly, however if they were superstar, imperial, discobrakes etc etc then you could have been unlucky. They would have all replaced them as it was a manufacturing defect but its too late now.

i wouldnt not buy the same again as its not happened with any since

dannyh
    Free Member

Perhaps also time to be glad that you’re able to post about this and not taking your food through a straw?!

I had a pad split and half came away from the backing, but it was literally just as I was coming to a halt – luckily not at the initial lever pull on a particularly crux braking point!

One of your nine lives used up?

thepodge
    Free Member

I had this happen on my Yamaha, I just bought a new set, didn’t think for one bit about complaining and they are way more expensive than mountain bike pads

flowerman
    Free Member

This happened on my clarks skeletal brakes. The pads were only 3 rides old!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘brake pad fallen off backing plate, is it worth complaining?’ is closed to new replies.